Princeton University is seeking a self-motivated, knowledgeable, energetic, and flexible professional to serve as a registered nurse in the overnight care unit. The Infirmary is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, during the academic year from September to June (closed during the summer), providing after-hours nursing care to undergraduate and graduate students. The Infirmary follows written protocols and has 24 hour physician and counselor support. Additional support is provided by a second nurse and a nursing assistant.
The position is a benefitted 60% duty time (3) shifts per week) evening shift (3p-11p) RN position.
University Health Services (UHS) at Princeton University is a fully accredited (Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, or “AAAHC”) health care facility. Located in the McCosh Health Center, the Caldwell Field House and Dillon Gym, UHS provides comprehensive health services to more than 7,500 Princeton undergraduate and graduate students, and specialized services to Princeton University faculty, staff, and employees who experience work-related injuries and illnesses, or who require consultations regarding international and travel medicine.
UHS’s mission is to enhance learning and student success by advancing the health and well-being of our diverse University community. This mission is pursued and supports the University’s purpose by using current knowledge of health and human development to guide responsive, high quality clinical, prevention, and consultation services.
UHS’s values are Respect & Compassionate Care; Integrity & Service Excellence; Collaboration & Innovative Solutions; & Engagement & Lifelong Learning.
UHS hires individuals of all backgrounds. We build on our staff’s diversity--recognizing, valuing, and appreciating the different perspectives, talents and energy of all. UHS invites all its employees to make a valuable contribution in this regard. We firmly believe that being an inclusive and culturally responsive community is one of the foundations of a vibrant, relevant organization. We aspire to develop the mindsets, knowledge and abilities to build equitable and inclusive systems, teams and culture.
The Infirmary Nurse provides comprehensive care to students admitted to the Infirmary overnight, triages students presenting after-hours to determine the acuity and severity of patient symptoms, provides nurse visits to students not requiring a physician visit, and provides nursing support to other departments within University Health Services. Additionally, the Registered Nurse performs administrative and other essential tasks to support the delivery of high quality healthcare.
Provide direct care to Inpatients
Provide urgent nursing care to walk-in clients.
Telephone triage, consultation, and referral to appropriate provider with documentation of same.Qualifications
- New Jersey state licensure as a professional Registered Nurse (in good standing)
- 3-5 years of nursing experience in a hospital or college health setting.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree
- Triage and/or emergency department experience
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) certifications.
- Skilled in basic nursing duties including, but not limited, to venipuncture, intramuscular, subcutaneous, and intradermal injections; administering nebulizer treatments, wound care, and Infection Prevention measures.
- Ability to independently perform detailed physical assessments and recognize normal and abnormal signs and symptoms.
- Ability to dispense all treatment and medication prescribed in accordance with pre-determined protocols.
- Ability to physically move and ambulate patients, move freely throughout the unit, and stand for periods of time.
- Skilled in independent decision making.
- Ability to clearly and comfortably delegate tasks to others.
- Ability to handle stressful situations and remain calm under pressure.
- Utilizes human and material resources effectively and efficiently.
- Customer service oriented.
It is an essential requirement of all health care personnel that they have the ability to work in an unbiased manner with a population diverse in its ethnicity, cultural background, and life-style preferences. Candidates for this position should have excellent clinical and interpersonal skills and be open and flexible in a changing workplace. We value professionalism, collaboration, and a work environment that fosters open communication, mutual respect, creativity, and appreciation for each person's contributions.
College Health experience
Experience working autonomously in a supervisory position
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAWSalary GradeADM, 050Standard Weekly Hours30.00Work Schedule, If Other Than Standard Hours55% duty time evening shiftEligible for OvertimeNoBenefits EligibleYesEssential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)YesPhysical Capacity Exam RequiredNoValid Driver’s License RequiredNo