Research Associate (GIS)
Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy TypeEHRA Non-FacultyIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoWorking TitleResearch Associate (GIS)Salary RangeAnticipated Hiring Range$60,000 - $75,000 (commensurate with education and experience)Position Number00107723Work ScheduleMonday- Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm with additional hours as needed to complete workFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.0Department063001 - NC Inst of Climate StudiesDepartmentNC Inst of Climate StudiesJob City & StateAsheville, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The North Carolina Institute for Climate Studies (NCICS) is a UNC inter-institutional research institute promoting the discovery of new knowledge about global, regional, and local climate variability and its impacts; and providing information that is critical for determining trends and validating climate forecasts at all these spatial scales. NCICS’ principal activity is the operation of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Satellite Earth System Studies in North Carolina (CISESS NC). CISESS’ primary objective is to document the natural atmosphere-ocean-land-biosphere components of the Earth system and how they interact with human activities as a coupled system through collaborative and transformative research activities and to transition that research into operational applications that produce societal benefits.Essential Job Duties
This position is located in Asheville, NC.
CISESS NC supports inter-agency activities for global, national, and regional assessments of climate change and relevant research supporting the value chain from data products to societal benefits. In support of NOAA’s Climate Assessment program, the Research Associate (GIS) will design, develop, and implement GIS solutions for scientific and analytical products, graphics, websites, and applications to ensure compliance with recognized standards and user friendliness to diverse audiences, utilizing industry best practices.
Key responsibilities and duties include:
- Work collaboratively with Institute staff in the analysis of Earth and environmental datasets.
- Generate various GIS products based on Earth and environmental science datasets.
- Assist institute staff and other scientists in the development of GIS products for analyses and publications.
- Work closely with the scientific assessment team to identify, understand, interpret, and effectively communicate key science/assessment program themes and data.
- Research web development techniques and strive for standards-based implementation.
- Write programming code, new and/or by adapting existing website software and graphics packages for visual display of program products including the federally-mandated National Climate Assessment.
- Design user experiences that are intuitive (accessible and logical), “bug” free, and easy to maintain for diverse audience (government officials, scientists, general public).
- Actively create and test websites to ensure compliance with recognized standards and user-friendliness, utilizing industry best practices.
- Track and report usage metrics.
- Maintain consistent look and feel throughout all GIS products, web and online properties, and ensure seamless integration with functionality.
- Work cooperatively with Institute staff to implement and support program websites.
- Develop new functionality and implement updates and improvements to existing sites.
- Manage high-level planning and troubleshooting associated with implementation and upgrades, and ensure product reliability and availability.
- Communicate end product vision and goals and team and/or individual contributions required for accomplishment.
- Independently resolve technical problems through proactive monitoring and maintenance of websites.
- Maintain a detailed understanding of assigned data and the use of its systems, and develop test plans/scenarios for its use.
- Support technology applications by researching, recommending, and adapting to and/or implementing new technologies.
- Serve as a technical resource to other members of the Institute.
- Fully participate in unit (NCICS, NCEI, etc.) activities and meetings.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Master’s degree or a relevant bachelor’s degree plus 3 or more years of experience in GIS and/or web development associated with Earth or environmental science and engineering products.Departmental Required Skills
Expert programming skills.
Five or more years of GIS experience.
Five or more years of front-end web development experience, including content management.
Expertise with HTML/CSS (or similar software), web standards, Web 2.0, coding best practices.
Strong understanding of web services and various APIs.
Experience using SVN, SSH, and comfortable with command line.
Experience working with online publishing, social media content, and communications strategy.
Experience with web authoring tools.
Proficiency with ArcGIS, Photoshop and InDesign, or similar software.
Ability to solve highly complex problems in a team environment.
Flexibility and adaptability; ability to pick up, evaluate, and incorporate new techniques.
Exceptional communication and organizational skills with high attention to detail.
Independently motivated with strong self-management skills.
Strong ability to multi-task, work on, and/or coordinate multiple projects.Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, web development, information technology, or related discipline.
Demonstrable experience with GIS, Google Earth, Adobe Flex, and other API tools.
Experience working with scientific data and data access from large data holding systems.
Experience working in a federal environment, having a working knowledge of FISMA, accessibility standards, etc.Required License or Certification
Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and names and complete contact information of three professional references, including email addresses and phone numbers.Job Open Date08/09/2019Anticipated Closing Date08/22/2019Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date09/09/2019AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * By answering "Yes" below, you acknowledge this position is located in Asheville, NC and still wish to be considered
- Yes, I understand this position is located in Asheville, NC and still want to be considered
- I no longer wish to be considered for this role.
- * Please list your highest level degree earned relative to this position and any pertinent certification(s).
(Open Ended Question)
- * Briefly describe your GIS experience.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have expert knowledge of ArcGIS?
- * Briefly describe your web development and management experience.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References