University Program Specialist
Posting DetailsJob Posting Information Vacancy TypeSHRAIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoTime Limited?NoTime-Limited Appointment LengthTitleUniversity Program SpecialistBand LevelJourneyWorking TitleUniversity Program SpecialistSalary Range$31,888 - $80,223Anticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with Experience ($52,000 - $55,000)Salary Grade Equivalency70Position Number00107714Work ScheduleMonday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.Does the regular and recurring schedule of this position result in the employee working more than ½ of their hours between 4 pm and 8 am? (Meal periods do not count).NoFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.0Department118403 - Biochemistry - METRICDepartmentBiochemistry - METRICJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The Department of Molecular and Structural Biochemistry at NC State University offers degree programs at the Bachelors, Masters, and Doctoral levels, in addition to a combined BS/MS program. With over 400 students, the undergraduate biochemistry program is one of the largest in the nation. Students are encouraged to develop critical thinking and communication skills.
Innovative research programs in the undergraduate and graduate curricula prepare students for advanced studies in medical school, graduate school or other post-graduate programs or careers in biotechnology and biomedical industries, academia or government.Essential Job Duties
The University Program Specialist is a shared position and will work 50% of their time in the Molecular and Structural Biochemistry Department and the other 50% in the Molecular Education, Technology and Research Innovation Center (METRIC).
Duties include (but are not limited to):
- Thoroughly understand NCSU accounting and budget procedures.
- Manage all METRIC financial accounts, including planning and monitoring the use of expenditures to meet METRIC objectives and compliance as well as preparing necessary reports.
- Provide data from prior year expenditures for consumables, service contracts, etc. for yearly renewals of service rate codes with the Office of Cost Analysis (OCA).
- Manage all non-marketplace and non PCard orders, including addition of new vendors and contractors, when necessary.
- Complete all Interdepartmental Transfers.
- Compile and summarize financial data to participate in budget analysis and forecasting.
- Plan, execute, and report financial impacts of a new annual undergraduate recruitment protocol.
- Assist with administration of METRIC’s Lab Management system by entering and updating internal and external user status and training; manage documentation for external users (services order forms and lab use agreements); bill approved internal orders on a weekly basis; prepare and send invoices for external orders on a monthly basis; monitor WRS and record payment in MENDIX for external invoices; manage scheduling rules; manage internal agreements with PIs and departmental business officers; work with users to resolve issues; update and enforce reservable rules and policies.
- Track manuscripts, letters of support, grants, and educational outcomes of METRIC, and generate reports, as needed.
- Coordinate student assessments, preparing reports of student outcomes, tracking and monitoring student progress, and maintaining alumni records and contacts.
Meet with each student declaring or intending to declare Biochemistry as a major once per semester while freshmen and sophomores to plan and approve course selections, assist these students and all transfer students in preparing their four-year plan of coursework, direct students with complex advising issues to appropriate faculty or student support resources
Other duties as needed by Biochemistry or METRIC.Minimum Experience/Education
Bachelor’s degree and one year of experience related to the area of assignment; or and equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Departmental Required Skills
Possess experience with undergraduate assessment reporting.
Demonstrate exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, highly organized and detail-oriented.
Must be able to work independently, use initiative, and make substantive decisions quickly.
Ability to quickly learn new technologies, and make recommendations for improved operational processes in support of METRIC’s continued growth, and the continued growth and quality of the Biochemistry major.Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
Master’s Degree in a relevant field.
Bachelor’s degree with 2-5 years of experience
Possess knowledge of research administration best practices, through either education or work experienceRequired License or Certification
Applicants should upload to their application the following:
1) Cover letter
3) Contact information of three professional references, including email addresses and phone numbers.
Please make sure the work history listed on your application matches the work history listed on your resume.Job Open Date08/09/2019Must Be Open Until---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.)08/15/2019Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date08/26/2019Alternate Option
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other" or were asked for additional information in question #1, please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please select the response below that best describes your experience/education for the University Program Specialist position.
- Bachelor's degree and one year of related experience
- Master's degree or Doctorate in any field
- Associate's degree and at least 3 years of related experience
- Combination of post-high school education and/or experience in a related area to equal at least 5 years (ex: 1 year of college and 4 years of experience)
- High school diploma/GED and at least 5 years of related experience
- Did not complete high school but have a combination of high school education and related experience to equal 9 years (ex. 1 year of high school and 8 years experience)
- None of the above
- * Please briefly describe your experience in accounting/finance or accounting/financial support role.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References