Pre-Clinical / Clinical Faculty (Evergreen position)
Posting DetailsPosition Information TitlePre-Clinical / Clinical Faculty (Evergreen position)CampusSan FranciscoDepartmentDepartment of Periodontics Posting NumberF00219Full or Part TimePart TimeOpen DateClose DateOpen Until FilledYesDays Per WeekUp to 2 days per weekWeeks Per Year40 Position Description Position Description
The Department of Periodontics at the University of the Pacific, Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry, invites applicants to apply for a part-time, teacher-clinician; 0.5 to 2 days per week, 40 weeks per year.
The department is responsible for providing the periodontal preclinical and clinical content within the dental school.
Pacific faculty engage in teaching, scholarship and service. The successful candidate will supervise pre-clinical and/or clinical student learning experiences in the discipline.
Responsibilities may include any of the following:
I. Teaching Curriculum
1. Didactic instruction involving periodontal pre-clinical and clinical content.
2. Participate in outcomes assessment, including student and peer evaluation, to improve curricular content and presentation.
3. Assist in setting standards of care for our Dugoni School of Dentistry student clinic and participate in faculty and staff development.
II. Patient Care
1. Supervise students providing clinical care of patients in the Dugoni School clinic including periodontal surgery.
2. Participate in mandatory faculty calibration and development in pre-clinical and clinical areas.
III. Collaboration and Service
1. Engage broadly in other school, university, professional, and community service opportunities.
2. In addition to the traditional expectations for faculty members, the culture of humanism and collaboration at the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry is especially important.
Current Knowledge of:
• Dental school educational processes.
• Periodontal information and techniques taught within the Department
• DDS/DMD or international equivalent, completion of training from an Accredited Dental School program.
Certificate of Proficiency in Periodontics
• Valid CPR certification
• Communicate effectively with a diverse population of patients, students, staff, faculty and administration.
• Work independently with minimal supervision.
• Work effectively in a group setting.
• Maintain confidentiality of information.
• Demonstrate professional judgment in all situations.
•Previous teaching or practice experience is preferred.
GENERAL: Faculty should have sufficient motor function to execute movements essential to providing oral health care to patients.
SPECIFIC: Must possess the motor skills to perform palpation, percussion, auscultation and other diagnostic maneuvers, basic laboratory tests, dental preparations, and diagnostic procedures in a timely manner. Such actions require coordination of gross and fine muscular movements, equilibrium, and functional uses of the senses of touch and vision.
SPECIFIC: Must be able to perform basic life support including CPR, transfer and position patients with disabilities, physically restrain adults and children who lack motor control, and position and reposition himself or herself around the patient and chair in sitting and standing positions for prolonged periods of time. A student must promote and support the ability of coworkers to perform prompt care. Must be able to operate controls, use high-speed or low-speed dental handpieces for tooth preparation procedures, and use hand instrumentation including scalpels for surgical procedures. All of these skills must be performed within reasonable time frames.
This recruitment is to establish a pool of qualified candidates, from which multiple short term, temporary appointments may be made.
Your application will be active for up to 12 months within the temporary pool. (Note: If a job specific posting is created and you are interested in that specific position, please reapply directly to the posted position. Your previous temporary pool application will not automatically transfer to the new job opening.)
Submission of materials does not guarantee consideration for future employment in openings of this type, since availability can be unpredictable and consideration competitive.Contact InformationContact Email Reference Letter Information Are Applicants Required to Submit References for This Posting?NoMinimum Number of References3Maximum Number of References4Background Check Statement
Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must pass a criminal background check.AA/EEO Policy Statement
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you first learn about this employment opportunity?
- University of the Pacific Website
- Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U)
- Chronicle of HIgher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium - Northern California (NorCal HERC)
- Modesto Bee
- Pacific Employee
- Personal Referral
- Professional or Association Listserv
- Publication or website from a professional organization
- Sacramento Bee
- San Francisco Chronicle
- Stockton Record
- Agency Referral
- Other Online Job Board
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Dental State License
- CPR/BLS Certification
- Hepatitis B Vaccination or HBV Test/Titer or Declination Form
- Other Document 2