Assistant Technical Director - Harris Center for the Arts
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Posting TitleAssistant Technical Director - Harris Center for the ArtsLocationLos Rios Community College District (Folsom Lake College)Department LocationHarris Center for the ArtsPosting NumberC01034PThe Institution
Established in 2004 as the fourth college in the Los Rios Community College District, Folsom Lake College (FLC) is a vibrant teaching and learning institution serving over 8,800 ethnically and racially diverse students each semester. The college and its two educational centers, the El Dorado Center in Placerville (EDC) and the Rancho Cordova Center (RCC), serve the rapidly growing areas of both eastern Sacramento and western El Dorado counties, forming a dynamic learning community committed to academic excellence, innovation, and educational equity.
Our mission is focused on a rigorous educational program with a strong focus on student success. We provide a broad range of academic programs, student support services, learning modalities (including online and hybrid courses), as well as opportunities for student engagement and leadership. We also incorporate the newest technologies for innovative classroom instruction, including collaboration with The Innovation Center Makerspace at the Main Folsom campus.
The Main Folsom campus also includes the Harris Center for the Arts, a state of the art visual and performing arts venue. The Center presents a diverse program of arts, culture and entertainment that engages the entire region. It is also home to FLC’s Visual and Performing Arts education programs, as well as local arts organizations and community partners, who embrace the opportunity to perform and learn in a world class facility.
FLC provides educational environments designed to empower, inspire, and enrich our diverse student population, including students from historically underrepresented and underserved populations. Our college awards Associate in Arts or Science degrees, as well as Associate Degrees for Transfer which guarantees transfer into California State Universities, and numerous private and non-profit 4-year colleges and universities. We also offer Career Education (CE) certificates and degrees and transfer credit for students who wish to continue their education at a four-year college or university.
Our Commitment to Social Justice & Equity
FLC believes that education should belong to everyone. To nourish this inclusion, we champion equity, diversity, social justice, and environmental sustainability as foundational to academic, campus, and community life. We work with the communities we serve toward just and fair inclusion into society in which all people can participate, prosper, and reach their full potential. We commit to equity driven decision-making, planning, and reflective processes that are responsive to the diverse identities and experiences in our community.
Under supervision of the assigned supervisor/manager, assist the Technical Director with planning, organizing, directing and supporting the technical aspects of events and activities of the Harris Center for the Arts, including, but not limited to, stage set-up, lighting, sound, related production functions for professional, student and community productions and other related work as required. [For a detailed job description for this LRSA Los Rios Supervisors Association posting Job Descriptions click here].
This position is assigned to Harris Center for the Arts, 10 College Park Way, Folsom, CA 95630.
Los Rios Community College District offers competitive salaries and a very comprehensive employee benefits package to include medical insurance, CalPERS retirement, and opportunities for additional insurance and financial investments.
Full-time, twelve-month employees receive 17 days of annual paid holidays, 15 days’ vacation yearly (with increases after 5 & 10 years) and 8 hours of sick leave per month. Los Rios also offers extensive professional development opportunities with the district and financial support and/or paid time off to complete external academic studies. (See full LRCEA contract agreement details)Assignment Responsibilities
● Assist with overseeing and controlling technical aspects of daily event operations, including the planning, organizing and directing of event load-ins, set-ups, and strikes, and use of the facility’s sound, lighting, stage and other technical equipment and systems.
● Act as lead for technical operations in the absence of the Technical Director.
● Oversee and coordinate the work assignments of theater technical personnel in the Technical Director’s absence.
● Assist with the recruitment and training of temporary employees; direct and coordinate the work assignments of temporary classified staff (e.g., a pool of 15-40 stagehands).
● Work with Technical Director to ensure appropriate levels of staffing and supervision for presented, rental, and academic events and activities.
● Provide written reports documenting technical operations, such as stage supervisor reports, incident reports, and technical event summaries (indicating staffing, equipment and facility usage) needed to settle events.
● Interact with facility users, Center staff and other college and district personnel when planning, coordinating and executing center programs, services and events.
● Oversee, direct and coordinate the use of assigned areas (e.g., stages and backstage areas) and equipment by outside entities and academic departments.
● In advance of events, assist with contacting student organizations, campus departments, community organizations, commercial promoters and other users to ascertain the technical requirements and staffing needs of their events, and prepare written advance sheets with cost estimates to document, summarize and communicate these discussions.
● Assist with the review and compliance of technical riders for artists, working with artists’ staff to ensure events are successfully coordinated.
● Ensure compliance with policies and procedures of the center, college and district.
● Assist in developing and instituting Center policies and procedures.
● Assist with budget planning and expense monitoring for technical equipment and staffing.
● Assist the Technical Director in their role as chief safety officer for the stage and backstage areas with the development, implementation and monitoring of a safety program.
● Perform and coordinate limited set construction, painting, rigging and other theater craft activities as needed.
● Assist in the specification and purchase of equipment and equipment upgrades.
● Work with a wide variety of vendors to obtain supplies, rental equipment and services in conformance with related policies and procedures.
● Help to develop and oversee a program for equipment inventory and security.
● Assist with development and execution of a preventative maintenance program for technical equipment and theatre systems.
● Inspect, monitor and evaluate theatrical equipment and work-related conditions to determine compliance with prescribed operating, safety and manufacturer’s guidelines.
● Train staff in proper maintenance and use of equipment.
● Enter data and other information into computers to assist with coordinating of events, maintaining of records, and communication with others.
● Perform related duties as assigned.
12:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m., Thursday – MondayTotal Hrs per Week/Day40 hours per weekSpecial Requirements
Possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s License in compliance with Los Rios Board Regulation R-8343; employment is contingent upon meeting the requirements of Los Rios Board Regulation R-8343. This position may require operating a District or personal vehicle in order to complete assigned work within the scope of the position duties. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the successful completion of a medical evaluation.Minimum Qualifications
EXPERIENCE: Three years of related experience in a professional theatrical “Road House” setting, including coordination of stage operations and practical experience working with modern sound and computerized lighting systems.
One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement.
EDUCATION: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in technical theater or related field; OR, an associate’s degree from an accredited institution in technical theater or related field, AND two additional years of experience (total of five years experience); OR, five additional years of relevant experience (total of eight years experience).
One year of education is equal to 30 semester units.
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
(Experience Requirement: One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement. Education Requirement: 15 units are equal to six months of education; 30 units are equal to one year of education.)Application Instructions
1. A completed Los Rios Community College District Classified Application (required).
2. Resume (recommended).
3. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (required).
4. Two (2) letters of recommendation (recommended).
5. Letter of Interest (recommended).
● Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified. Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
● Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as official transcripts.
● It is the responsibility of Los Rios Community College District employees to also provide official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position. (Within 60 days of the time of hire, employees are required to submit official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position).
● Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents.
● A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
● Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators. Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to [email protected] Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting closing date.Physical DemandsSalary$4,534.42 per monthLRCCD Salary SchedulesAdditional Salary InformationPlus shift differential. Posting Detail Information Posting Date08/09/2019Closing Date08/30/2019Open ContinuouslyNoBeginning and/or Ending Dates
N/AHow and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Office located at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825-3981. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 or come in during our business hours. After hours inquiries should be emailed to [email protected] Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting closing date.Conditions
All Positions: Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.Quicklinkhttp://jobs.losrios.edu/postings/12167Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Criminal History Verification and Release: I acknowledge and agree that I understand that by answering the question below, I certify that the information provided by me is true, correct and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief. I authorize investigation of all statements contained herein, and on the P-881 (if applicable and submitted), and I release from liability all persons and organizations furnishing such information. I understand that any misstatements, omissions or misrepresentation of facts on this form, my application, and, if applicable, the P-881 or attachment(s) may be cause for disqualification or dismissal. If you have ever been convicted of an offense other than a minor traffic violation you are required to complete the form "Arrests Which Led to Convictions for Crime", P-881 (you must disclose convictions that have been dismissed pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4; Ed. Code 87008). If needed, copy and paste the provided link, for the form <a href="http://wserver.losrios.edu/hr/forms/P-881,10-2013.pdf" target="_blank">http://wserver.losrios.edu/hr/forms/P-881,10-2013.pdf</a> and attach the completed form to your application.
- Yes, I acknowledge and agree
- No, I do not acknowledge or agree
- * Can you perform the essential functions of this position?
- * Considering this specific position that you are applying to – where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed (Vitea.com)
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Oakland
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Los Angeles
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community Colleges
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- Professional Networks
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3
- Unofficial Transcript 4
- Unofficial Transcript 5
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- P-881 Report of Arrests Which Led To Convictions For Crime Document