Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Posting TitlePolice SergeantLocationLos Rios Community College District (District Office)Department LocationPolice ServicesPosting NumberC01033PThe Institution
The Los Rios Community College District is the second largest, two-year public college district in California, serving approximately 75,000 students in the greater Sacramento region. The district’s 2,400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties and is comprised of four uniquely diverse colleges – American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake and Sacramento City colleges. In addition to each college’s main campus, the district offers educational centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk Grove, Natomas and Rancho Cordova.
The Los Rios district office is centrally located in the heart of the Sacramento valley. The growing Capital Region has strong communities and emergent arts and dining scenes, and is nearby some of the most celebrated tourist destinations in the country – Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley and San Francisco. The Sacramento area is a great place to live and work!
The district has approximately 6,000 employees through our four colleges and district office in dozens of different departments that support students at our four colleges and provide welcoming, inclusive, and equitable environments for Los Rios students, employees and our community partners. Each and every district and college department strives for the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities, and is focused on improving educational outcomes for the students we serve.
Our colleges offer equity-minded, academically rigorous, student success centered education. Our objective is to help our students successfully achieve their academic goals, whether they want to transfer to a four-year college or university, earn an associate’s degree, or obtain one of more than 100 certificates in high demand career fields.
Under the direction of a Police Captain or designee and subject to District regulations and Los Rios Police Department (LRPD) General Orders, coordinate, direct and supervise sworn and civilian staff using a community-based policing approach; provide police services, protecting life and property; may assist with special programs and investigations. [For a detailed job description for this LRSA Los Rios Supervisors Association posting Job Descriptions click here].
This position is assigned to the Police Department at Cosumnes River College, 8401 Center Parkway, Sacramento, CA 95823.
Los Rios Community College District offers competitive salaries and a very comprehensive employee benefits package to include medical insurance, CalPERS retirement, and opportunities for additional insurance and financial investments.
Full-time, twelve-month employees receive 17 days of annual paid holidays, 21 days’ vacation yearly and 8 hours of sick leave per month. Los Rios also offers extensive professional development opportunities with the district and financial support and/or paid time off to complete external academic studies. (See full LRSA contract agreement details)Assignment Responsibilities
● Coordinates, directs, and supervises staff.
● Leads teams and projects.
● Coordinates security for district and community events.
● Conducts use of force reviews.
● Coordinates, directs, and supervises the department’s dispatch operations, staff, and Police Detective.
● Ensures adherence to California Peace Officer Standards and Training (CA POST) dispatch standards, and operations.
● Oversees Evidence Room and ensures proper administration of records, documents, evidence, and property.
● Oversees background investigations.
● Trains and evaluates assigned staff.
● Hires temporary employees.
● Makes recommendations for discipline and on other personnel matters.
● Counsels staff and administers discipline as required.
● Schedules shifts and assignments which includes authorization of leave and overtime.
● Oversees temporary employees and volunteers.
● Interprets laws, codes, policies and procedures and ensures legality and consistency in application.
● Monitors legal, regulatory, technological, societal changes, and court decisions that may affect the work of the department.
● Determines course of action to be taken during shift, emergencies, or complex law enforcement situations.
● May assist with Evidence Room in the oversight and ensure proper administration of records, documents, and evidence and property.
● Oversees and ensures proper handling of evidence and property.
● Documents accident and incident scenes through the use of appropriate audio/visual equipment.
● Prepares a variety of reports, documents, and correspondence.
● Reviews and approves criminal reports, as well as, a variety of general reports, correspondence, memoranda, and files for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with department directives.
● Analyzes trends in data and information.
● Determines cases to be investigated and identify problem areas.
● Recommends equipment acquisitions, training programs, and procedural changes to ensure effective department operations.
● Accounts for all assigned equipment, materials, supplies, and vehicles to ensure proper inventory levels and operational readiness.
● Works with outside agencies as needed.
● Assists in maintaining positive relationships with internal and external agencies and groups.
● Serves on committees, teams, and projects.
● Conducts presentations.
● Serves as on-call Sergeant and Watch Commander.
● May serve as either Patrol or Administrative Sergeant as needed.
● Performs the duties of a Police Officer when required.
● Renders emergency first aid and CPR.
● Assists with the department’s emergency and disaster preparedness and response programs.
● May serve as the incident commander at emergencies involving Los Rios Community College District jurisdiction or mutual aid events as requested by the Chief of Police or Police Captain.
● May oversee and conduct investigations regarding community inquiries, citizen complaints, internal affairs, and other investigations as appropriate.
● Conducts staff investigation training as needed.
● May assist with oversight, implementation, and evaluation of department Continued Professional Training programs to ensure compliance with CA POST mandates and the professional growth and development needs of department members.
● May assist with the coordination, oversight, and evaluation of the department Field Training program to ensure Officers are appropriately prepared for assigned responsibilities.
● Perform related duties as assigned.
7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday – FridayTotal Hrs per Week/Day40 hours per weekSpecial Requirements
Possess and maintain all the requirements of the position, including but not limited to, the following: The requirements of applicable Government Code Sections, including but not limited to, sections 1029, 1030, 1031. Successful completion of a CA POST Basic Academy and meet all CA POST Peace Officer Selection Requirements by the date of hire.
Possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s License in compliance with Los Rios Board Regulation R-8343. This position may require operating a District or personal vehicle in order to complete assigned work within the scope of the position duties.
Possess and maintain a valid first aid certificate issued by an authorized agency, and a valid cardiopulmonary resuscitation certificate within 30 days of a conditional offer of employment.
Successfully complete a Campus Law Enforcement course within two years of employment.
Successfully complete a CA POST certified Supervisory Course within one year of employment.
Respond to emergency calls at night and on weekends as necessary.Minimum Qualifications
EXPERIENCE: Three years of experience as a law enforcement officer in a public agency or in the military service. One year of experience in a lead or supervisory capacity in any field preferred.
EDUCATION: The equivalent of an Associate degree (60 semester units) from an accredited institution. Additional qualifying experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the educational requirement.
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
(One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement. Education Requirement: 15 units are equal to six months of education; 30 units are equal to one year of education.)Application Instructions
1. A completed Los Rios Community College District Classified Application (required).
2. Resume (recommended).
3. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (required).
4. Two (2) letters of recommendation (recommended).
5. Letter of Interest (recommended).
● Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified. Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
● Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as official transcripts.
● It is the responsibility of Los Rios Community College District employees to also provide official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position. (Within 60 days of the time of hire, employees are required to submit official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position).
● Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents.
● A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
● Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators. Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.Physical Demands
Carry and operate equipment and weapons used in police operations according to predetermined standards; work outdoors in varying temperatures, with possible exposure to the elements; occasional loud noises; occasionally move heavy objects of 50 pounds or more with and without assistance (move large objects or people); occasionally lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds; may bend at waist and knees, stoop/crouch, kneel, pull, reach, maneuver, maintain balance, duck, twist, stand, run/pursue, climb, jump, and wrestle (combative suspect).Salary$6,956.96 per month. LRCCD Salary SchedulesAdditional Salary InformationNo additional salary information to note Posting Detail Information Posting Date08/09/2019Closing Date08/30/2019Open ContinuouslyNoBeginning and/or Ending Dates
N/AHow and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Office located at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825-3981. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 or come in during our business hours. After hours inquiries should be emailed to [email protected] Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting closing date.Conditions
All Positions: Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.Quicklinkhttp://jobs.losrios.edu/postings/12164Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Criminal History Verification and Release: I acknowledge and agree that I understand that by answering the question below, I certify that the information provided by me is true, correct and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief. I authorize investigation of all statements contained herein, and on the P-881 (if applicable and submitted), and I release from liability all persons and organizations furnishing such information. I understand that any misstatements, omissions or misrepresentation of facts on this form, my application, and, if applicable, the P-881 or attachment(s) may be cause for disqualification or dismissal. If you have ever been convicted of an offense other than a minor traffic violation you are required to complete the form "Arrests Which Led to Convictions for Crime", P-881 (you must disclose convictions that have been dismissed pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4; Ed. Code 87008). If needed, copy and paste the provided link, for the form <a href="http://wserver.losrios.edu/hr/forms/P-881,10-2013.pdf" target="_blank">http://wserver.losrios.edu/hr/forms/P-881,10-2013.pdf</a> and attach the completed form to your application.
- Yes, I acknowledge and agree
- No, I do not acknowledge or agree
- * Can you perform the essential functions of this position?
- If a requirement of the position, do you have the appropriate valid driver's license?
- * Considering this specific position that you are applying to – where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed (Vitea.com)
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Oakland
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Los Angeles
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community Colleges
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- Professional Networks
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- Please cut and paste the provided link to read and review the CRC Statement concerning the value of cultural competence.https://pa-hrsuite-production.s3.amazonaws.com/2949/docs/133235.pdf I have reviewed the CRC Statement Concerning the Value of Cultural Competence:
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Letter of Interest
- P-881 Report of Arrests Which Led To Convictions For Crime Document
- P.O.S.T. Certificate
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation
- Unofficial Transcript 4
- Unofficial Transcript 5
- P.O.S.T. Management Certificate