Secretary 1 - English and Creative Writing
Department:: English and Creative Writing
Locations:: Oswego, NY
Posted:: Aug 9, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About SUNY Oswego:
Founded in 1861, SUNY Oswego is a public comprehensive university located in Central New York on the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, 45 minutes from Syracuse. One of 13 comprehensive colleges in the 64-campus State University of New York (SUNY) system, SUNY Oswego is recognized nationally for its academic quality, focus on student success outcomes, and the growing diversity of its student body. Ranked 11th among public master's-level universities in the 2019 "Top Regional Universities in the North" by U.S. News and World Report, SUNY Oswego is also recognized among Princeton Review's Best Regional Colleges in the Northeast - an honor bestowed on the college every year since 2003.
Inspired by a shared commitment to excellence and the desire to transcend traditional higher education boundaries, SUNY Oswego provides a transformative experience to 8,000 undergraduate and graduate students. The college offers preeminent academic programs in the arts and sciences, business, communications, and teacher education, and its success is built on providing students outstanding educational experiences with attention to a liberal arts and sciences foundation, practical applications, interdisciplinary approaches, independent scholarly and creative work, and skills for living in multicultural and global communities.
SUNY Oswego works continuously to create an inclusive environment which respects, embraces, and promotes cultural safety, belonging, civil discourse, cultural humility, and other values and goals outlined in SUNY Oswego's Strategic Diversity and Inclusion Plan (https://www.oswego.edu/diversity/). As such, the Secretary 1 will be expected to contribute to these efforts and possess communication and interpersonal skills necessary to engage effectively with an increasingly diverse community of students and colleagues.
Oswego is committed to enhancing its diversity across the entire campus community. SUNY Oswego is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and is actively engaged in recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. We encourage applications from qualified applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim SUNY status, or criminal conviction. Please click here to see our full non-discrimination policy.
In accordance with USCIS regulations, successful applicants must be legally able to work in the United States per the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
Requests for reasonable accommodations of a disability during the application and/or interview process should be made to the Human Resources Office by calling 315-312-2230 or emailing [email protected]
For Campus Safety information, please click here to see the Annual Security and Fire Report (Clery) on the Human Resources Website:
SUNY Oswego is a smoke free/tobacco/e-cigarette free campus. Please click here for further policy details, including education and cessation resources.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
The Department of English and Creative Writing at the State University of New York at Oswego invites applications to fill a full-time permanent, Secretary 1 position, Grade 11.
Posting Date: August 9, 2019
Review Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary: $41,130/year. Commensurate with qualifications and experience. In addition, the State University of New York provides an excellent benefit package. Please click here for more information on benefits for full-time CSEA professional.
Date of Appointment: As soon as possible.
Description of Responsibilities:
- Maintain personnel files for full-time and adjunct faculty
- Complete and submit Appointment Forms
- Complete and submit 1-9, W-9 and W-4 forms
- Complete and submit MyOswego Faculty Services Authorization form
- Maintain faculty absence record
- Faculty searches
- Collect and organize candidate cover letters, resumes, reference letters, writing samples, etc., submitted via Interview Exchange, lnterfolio, email, and hard copy
- Coordinate candidate itinerary (adopted template to use as example)
- Make hotel reservations
- Make dinner reservations
- Coordinate transportation for candidate
- Ensure candidate completes 1-9 and other applicable forms
- Complete and submit candidate reimbursement forms as necessary
- Collect course requests from faculty
- Organize course requests for Chair and Directors
- Work with Chair and Directors to finalize schedule
- Submit final schedule to Registrar's Office
- Liaison with Registrar's Office and Extended Learning to make changes and adjustments to schedules and rooms as necessary
- Request syllabi from faculty
- Collect office hours from all faculty
- Assign faculty office space according to schedules/office hours (fit 53 faculty into 27 offices)
- Create signs for each office with occupant's name, schedule, office hours, contact information
- Update directory for Poucher (all floors)
- Organize and mail letters to admitted and transfer students
- ENG/CRW/CSS Senior Recognition
- Department and I FR/Summer Accounts
- Track on department spreadsheet
- Keep Chair informed of budget status
- Make purchases via credit card or SUNY Purchasing System (e-reqs)
- Process paperwork for reimbursements
- Collect travel requests from faculty
- Complete and submit Request for Travel forms
- Collect travel receipts from faculty
- Complete and submit Travel Vouchers for reimbursement
- College Foundation
- Complete and submit reimbursement requests
- Keep Directors apprised of account balance
- Submit donations
- Assist in completing paperwork for grant requests
- Track grants on spreadsheet
- Complete and submit paperwork for reimbursements and/or purchases
- Complete and submit paperwork for student workers including 1-9, W-9, W-4 and timesheets
- Purchase standard office supplies
- Purchase items as requested by Program Directors
- Reconcile Citibank statement and SUNY Purchasing System
- Submit receipts and reconciliation to Finance
- CSS Student Fees
- Purchase course material needed for student usage
- Purchase replacement equipment for CSS courses
- Palmer, Barnes, Buckley Awards
- Collect information from Registrar's Office regarding student eligibility for awards
- Collect names of nominee's from faculty
- Notify recipients via formal letters and email of their award
- Create award certificates and obtain appropriate signatures
- Submit paperwork for award checks
- Have award plaques engraved with recipients' names
- Creative Writing Awards Contest
- Design and distribution posters and flyers for awards
- Collect student submissions
- Copy submissions and send to six judges for fiction, non-fiction, formal poem, sonnet, playwriting, and screenwriting
- Notify winners via formal letters and email
- Create award certificates and obtain appropriate signatures
- Reserve room for awards presentation during Quest
- Arrange for refreshments
- Create and reproduce awards program for ceremony
- Create PowerPoint slide show for awards ceremony
- Deans' Writing Awards
- Collect CLAS student submissions and Materials License Agreements
- Copy submissions and send to judges
- Collect information from students on attendance at ceremony and guests
- Create PowerPoint slide show for awards ceremony
Living Writers Series and SUNYWide Film Festival:
- Make hotel, transportation, and dinner reservations for presenters
- Create and distribution flyers and posters for presentations
- Track funds transferred from Artswego to CRW and CSS College Foundation Accounts
- Complete and submit paperwork for reimbursement to presenters
- Monitor list of advisors/advisees
- Work with Program Director to assign advisors
- Update advisor assignments in Banner
- Maintain student advisement files
- Update and copy course description booklet each semester
- Update and copy graduate course description booklet each semester
- Update and copy Major and Minor worksheets
- Update and copy English, Creative Writing, and Cinema & Screen Studies information pamphlet
- Maintenance Department - submit work orders for repairs, painting, moving, cleaning, building, etc.
- Computer Technology Services - trouble calls, inventory, software upgrades, equipment moves
- Registrar's Office and Extended Learning - changes and adjustments to schedules and rooms as necessary
- Procurement Department - credit card issues, ordering supplies on-line, e-reqs
- Payroll - adjunct salaries, faculty time and attendance
- Parking Office - submit names of adjunct and new faculty each semester for parking stickers, request parking passes for visitors, guests, and presenters
- Keep department webpage up-to-date with contact information
- Update faculty office assignments and schedules each semester
- Update course offerings each semester
Email Group Distribution Lists and List Servs:
- Update every list each semester
- Department faculty distribution list
- Creative Writing Majors/Minors listserv
- Department faculty and staff list for scanning on ColorQube
- Attend meetings, take, transcribe and distribute meeting minutes for Chair's Advisory Committee, Creative Writing, and Cinema & Screen Studies
English Honor Society:
- Honor Society
- Work with Director to coordinate activities and communication
- Coordinate English Department Conference Room reservations
- Submit electronic requests for room reservations for classroom activities and event management
Manages the front office operations and workflow. Supervises KBS II and other office staff in day to day operations.
Candidates must be permanent competitive or 55 b/c employees of New York State to be eligible to apply for this position.
One year of permanent competitive service as an Secretary 1 OR be reachable on the Secretary 1 eligible list OR have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the law.
70.1 transfer or reinstatement:
One year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Secretary 1 OR have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title within two salary grades of the target title that is eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of Civil Service Law.
Permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Secretary 1.
One year of permanent competitive service Keyboard Specialist 1, Keyboard Specialist 1 (Spanish Language), Keyboard Specialist 2, Keyboard Specialist 2 (Spanish Language), Law Department Document Specialist Trainee 1, Law Department Document Specialist Trainee 2, Law Department Document Specialist, Data Entry Machine Operator, Data Entry Machine Operator (Spanish Language), or Senior Data Entry Machine Operator.
Conditions of Employment:
This will be a permanent or provisional appointment. Candidates should be aware that a preferred list, transfer list, placement roster and/or reemployment roster of laid off State employees may be certified against this vacancy by the Department of Civil Service.
For more details, reference New York State Department of Civil Service, Job Title Code # 2912000, Secretary 1 and Grade 11.
If you have any questions about the position, please call or e-mail:
Submit a cover letter addressing qualifications, CV/resume, and contact information for three professional references (only the three referees listed in your Interview Exchange application can be considered and contacted) electronically by clicking on the APPLY NOW button.
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please click here to login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.
Please click CONTACT US if you need assistance applying through this website.