Academic Advisor for the College of Business
Academic Advisor for the College of BusinessTracking Code647-674 Job Description
The Academic Advisor for the College of Business will primarily be responsible for advising students on completion of business core courses, declaration of major, completion of all degree requirements, and help direct them on successful pathway to meeting their academic goals.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Advising students to insure correct courses for graduation are completed. Assist with registration on DataVU, remove advisor holds, complete academic plans, check prerequisites
- Completing evaluations for transfer credits
- Participating in and assisting in the planning of new student orientation (FOCUS) and other visiting days
- Other Administrative duties; return phone calls, emails, speak to parents, transfer students, student plan sheets, sport eligibility forms, relevant meetings, letters for International students
Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
Employment at Valparaiso University will require a criminal background check.
To be considered for this position you must upload:
- Cover letter
- List of 3 professional references
- Answer all the application questions
Please address cover letter to:
Toni Spaliaras, Assistant Dean of College of Business
Valparaiso, IN 46383
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem solving skills
- Excellent attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Ability to interact effectively with students and faculty of all cultural backgrounds and experience levels
- Ability to prioritize multiple requests and handle them in an efficient and timely manner
- Ability to multi-task and establish priorities and resolve conflict
- Thoroughly understand and abide by federal and university guidelines regarding student confidentiality requirements
- Bachelor's degree and preferably experience in higher education or related field.
- A minimum of two years of advising and/or teaching experience at the post-secondary level.
- Proficient use of computers and knowledge of various software programs.