Research Administration Coordinator (MGH IHP)
The Office of the Provost is seeking a Research Administration Coordinator, who will provide general administrative support for research operations and provide administrative support to the Associate Provost for Research. This position will have a myriad of responsibilities which will fluctuate based on the administrative and research needs within the department. Department level responsibilities include a high level of customer service, administering general office procedures, and other front office coverage/duties necessary. This position requires cross training and absence coverage of daily office support.
Must demonstrate strong organizational, administrative, time management, and communication (both verbal and written) skills and the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced and developing office. The candidate will need to anticipate and resolve problems, prioritize multiple tasks, meet deadlines and organize complex projects. The ideal candidate is expected to work both independently and as part of a team, thus, it is essential that this candidate has the ability to assume responsibility for own professional growth and development, and the ability to utilize the principles of teamwork. The candidate needs to be a quick learner and capable of working independently with multiple and conflicting priorities and frequent deadlines.
1) Program Management (50%): Manages daily administrative operations of the Research Office;
- Responsible for all internal research communications and primary point of contact for research team requests
- Schedules appointments and meetings and maintains calendars and schedules for assigned staff
- Reviews and analyzes departmental organization and operational responsibilities and needs; makes recommendations to enhance efficiency and effectiveness of administrative support activities
- Provides interface between the research office and appropriate Institute departments to facilitate and act on financial, administrative and personnel actions, resolve problems and ensure compliance with applicable Institute policy and procedures
- Directs and coordinates administrative support functions for the research programs including purchasing and personnel functions
- Establishes, coordinates and monitors database systems for accurate program records of faculty, program accomplishments; research applications; special funds and projects; research awards/fellowships, and recruitment efforts
- Manage and maintain grant and faculty manuscript archive, NIH Biosketch, and faculty CVs
- Manage data registry and iPads in BLDG 79/96
- Manage Research Mentoring Program (RaMP) mentor/mentee pair ups and update presentations
- Provides publication support including proofreading and editing research papers, manuscripts, articles, correspondence and documents for publication and or presentation
- Coordinates and books travel arrangements, prepares itineraries and documents to facilitate faculty and visiting faculty/candidates travel
- Handles all meeting logistics including catering, audio-visual requirements, reserving rooms, preparing materials/agenda and taking meeting minutes
- Works with Strategic Communication department to promote IHP research including posting regular social media updates and to maintain current website content
- Works closely with researchers to develop and implement marketing strategies for the program
- Develops pertinent brochures, advertisements, and may organize lectures
- Serve as the administrative contact between the PIPS office and the hiring department for all research hires that require visas
2) Budgetary (15%) Oversees and coordinates the fiscal activity of Research area, to include participation in development and management of operating budgets, contracts and/or grants (as applicable), inventory management, travel, purchasing, and/or distributions; reviews and reconciles monthly reports, and assists with departmental fiscal planning.17. Develop, implement and monitor standardized financial management policies and procedures; ensure compliance with established budgets and operational plan; investigate variances and recommend solutions18. Coordinate and direct budget preparation and administration for programs19. Monitor annual operational and sponsored programs budgets20. Provides financial support for faculty projects, travel, grant-related expenses, and processing payments21.Process and track reimbursements, payments for independent investigators 22.Vendor set-up and processing consultant payments on research grants 3) Faculty and Staff Support (15%)
- Serves as point person for inquiries from research faculty, investigators, staff and students.
- Connects faculty and staff with appropriate Institute, MGH, and Partners resources.
- Fields inquiries about the programs from prospective faculty/students.
- Maintains calendars and schedules appointments for administrative leaders.
- Assist with onboarding new investigators
- Act as timekeeper and PeopleSoft Manager
QualificationsEducation and Experience Qualifications Required: Bachelor’s degree 1 years working in office environment Preferred: Familiarity with higher educationExperience working with budgets Skills/Abilities/Competencies Required a) Administrative Skills- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; customer-oriented. Well-developed telephone etiquette; ability to handle multiple tasks and frequent interruptions effectively. Good organizational skills. Ability to make decisions quickly and independently. Must be able to function as a team player and be willing to take on additional duties as requested. b) Technical Skills- Facility with personal computers and related software applications including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and internet based programs such as distance learning programs, student information systems, and human resources applications. Needs to adapt quickly as new programs are implemented. c) Physical Capabilities – The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and walk; use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; and talk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Primary Location: MA-Charlestown-MGH IHP
MGH IHP (MGHCharlestownIHP)
36 First Avenue
Job: Administrative Support
Organization: Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Job Posting: Aug 8, 2019