Research Assistant Professor, Curry School of Education and Human Development
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-08-08
The Curry School of Education at the University of Virginia seeks a Research Assistant Professor of Education with a PhD in Psychology, Education, or a related field for the 2019-20 academic year. This 12-month non-tenure track faculty position will be in the Department of Leadership, Foundations and Policy with affiliations in the Center for Positive Youth Development (Youth-Nex) and the Center for Race & Public Education in the South.
The successful candidate will take a leadership role on an existing funded research project to develop curriculum and educational materials for K-12 related to diversity, equity, and social justice, with a focus on understanding child and adolescent development and how to engage youth of different ages in conversations regarding critical history. The successful candidate will also serve as an engaging public face of the research project by reporting to funders on project goals, leading on movement of curriculum to pilot work and on training and curriculum design and development. The successful candidate will be expected to develop and maintain a programmatic line of scholarship covered by the curriculum with productivity in conference presentations and published academic articles. The successful candidate will be expected to produce publishable manuscripts on research and related professional chapters, books, and other forms of dissemination about effective/positive youth development, and work with Center faculty and other researchers to seek new funded research projects by contributing to grant writing and submissions, and develop and maintain connections to community organizations to seek new funded projects. The successful candidate will supervise students and staff on data collection, management, and analysis as well as other grant-related duties. There is the possibility of teaching based on need, load availability, and mutual agreement between the successful candidate and Center Directors. The successful candidate will provide co-leadership for the annual Youth-Nex conference.
- A Ph.D. in Psychology, Education, or a related field is required.
- An understanding of both child/adolescent development and critical history with an understanding of how to use developmental science to inform education is required.
- A record of scholarship in areas related to child & adolescent development, education, and/or equity is required.
- Candidates must have one year of post-doctoral or equivalent experience, as well as experience applying for extramural funding.
- Experience conducting mixed methods research and evaluation in educational and/or community-based out-of-school settings is preferred, as is experience with data management, data collection in field studies, management of research and student assistants, and experience with action-based or youth participatory evaluation.
- Demonstrated research interests in issues of adolescent development is required, as well as substantive understanding of, and interest in, the fields of Positive Youth Development and social/developmental psychological research in adolescence.
- Experience as a teacher is preferred.
- Experience translating research for practice is preferred.
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for “Research Assistant Professor, Curry School of Education and Human Development". Complete an application online and see below for documents to attach.
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: Please apply through Workday, and search for ‘Research Assistant Professor, Curry School of Education and Human Development' complete the application and see below for documents to attach. Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the box.
Complete an application online and attach:
- Cover Letter
- Contact information for 3 professional references
- Email Address
- Phone Number
***Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration.***
For questions about this position, please contact Nancy Deutsch, Professor, Director for Youth-Nex. For questions about the application process, please contact Bethany Case, Academic Recruiter, at [email protected].The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.