Maintenance Technician, Heat Plant
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-08-08
Facilities Management (FM) supports the University of Virginia's wide range of research, academic and patient care programs. With over 1,200 employees dedicated to excellence, Facilities Management is responsible for the day-to-day operation, repair and maintenance of U.Va.'s buildings, infrastructure, and grounds as well as other University-owned and leased properties.
Our Heat Plant department has an exciting opportunity for a Maintenance Technician who will independently inspect, maintain, repair and/or rebuild a variety of power plant mechanical and related steam and heating equipment to keep them in an operating condition that allows for continuous, high-quality, high pressure steam, and high temperature hot water sufficient to meet all demands of the University. The selected candidate will work as a team member to solve problems, has excellent mechanical aptitude and troubleshooting ability. The Maintenance Technician will have considerable knowledge of all aspects of repair and maintenance of heating equipment (including coal, oil, and gas-fired boilers pumps) and other auxiliary power plant mechanical equipment.
Note: This position will be required to work four ten-hour shifts per week.
- Troubleshoot and perform preventative maintenance (PM) on equipment. Make necessary repairs and adjustments on machines and equipment during production to minimize downtime and maximize equipment efficiency.
- Perform routine mechanical, electrical, welding, or machining maintenance activities on equipment including lubrication, inspection, and replacement of parts.
- Hydraulic and pneumatic components: knowledge of various types of pumps and compressors, solenoid valves, filters and regulators.
- Fabrication: knowledge of different types of steel and aluminum materials, cutting and grinding methods for various materials, experience in welding with various types of gas and electric equipment and metal lathes, milling machines, drill presses, grinders, cut-off saws and shears.
- Maintain legible, neat and accurate records, documentation, reports, etc.
- Update skills as required due to improvements and/or changes in technology.
- Read, interpret, and work from plans, drawings, and specifications, estimating materials that are needed for the task.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: A minimum of 4 years of previous maintenance experience, with a minimum of one year of experience operating and maintaining boilers, generators, and support systems.
Licensure: Valid Driver's License, with a positive points balance. American Society of Power Engineers (ASOPE) licensure required within one year of hire.
The employee must be able to variously sit, stand, walk, climb stairs and ladders, crawl, stoop, bend, squat, lift, pull, and use both hands on repetitive tasks (including overhead tasks). The employee must have normal vision and hearing (correctable), and for some areas of employment, color vision and sense of smell.
To apply visit: https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, searching for ‘Maintenance Technician, Heat Plant’' and fully complete an application, attaching the below required documents:
- Contact information for three (3) professional references.
Application Process for those Currently Employed by UVA: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for ‘Maintenance Technician, Heat Plant’ and complete the application, attaching a resume and contact information for three references.
Incomplete applications that are missing required documents may not be given full consideration. The position will remain open until filled.
Questions regarding the application process should be directed to Eirine Vlavianos, Recruiter at [email protected].The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.