Enterprise Data Architect
University Information Services (UIS) providestechnical services and enterprise applications to the University of Coloradocampuses and the Office of the President. UIS is committed to excellence incustomer service and technical expertise. Through the development of enterpriseapplications, UIS supports the University as a whole with systems used bystudents, faculty, human resources employees, finance employees, and others.
The Enterprise Data Architect exists to oversee data architecture for University services and applications as well as to provide future-looking technical process guidance in the area of data architecture and management. In addition, this position performs a key management and thought leadership role in the areas of advanced data techniques, including data modeling, data access, data integration, data visualization, data discovery, statistical methods, database design, and implementation. The position will often operate as an internal consultant to assist project technical and functional leads in design, approach, and tool selection for data-oriented projects.
The Enterprise Data Architect reports to the Assistant Director of Advanced Technologies and Enterprise Architecture and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.
Duties and Responsibilities: Primary Responsibilities: This position will be expected to perform the following responsibilities:
- Responsible for creating, maintaining, and extending canonical data models across multiple domains at the University.
- Develop conceptual, logical, and physical data models/design data access layer specifications and communicate design for implementation.
- Become an expert in the issues/benefits that arise at the confluence of enterprise data, including data from student systems, HR systems, finance/grants systems, advancement operations, and University-wide CRM systems.
- Advise MDM developers on determining search/match and survivorship rules.
- Advise Integration developers on the best sources for data in constituent enterprise systems.
- Prototype/trailblaze new data-oriented solutions with enterprise system owners, then help them to transition new features into their day-to-day operations.
- Execute proof-of-concept or innovation oriented technical efforts and projects to evaluate options, prove out the viability of new technologies or approaches, and the ability to articulate outcome to UIS and campus constituents.
- Consult with campuses on any business glossary/data definitions work.
- Knowledge of IT best practices.
- Knowledge of data modeling and architecture techniques.
- Strong problem solving skills and effective communication, along with the ability to work independently, as well as part of a cross-functional team.
- Ability to grow technical skills to improve internal systems and processes.
- Ability to interact positively, clearly, and professionally with customers, peers and upper management.
- Ability to conceive and portray the big data picture.
- Ability to adhere to project deadlines, and willingness to be 100% hands-on to deliver on-time.
Who we are:
System Administration, which also houses theOffice of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver withan office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses.However, this position is located in Denver. Many of our departmentssupport the educational and research missions of the four University ofColorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professionaldevelopment, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff andfaculty.
The University of Colorado is committed to recruiting andsupporting diversity and equality in education and employment. The universitystrives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication andunderstanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, personswith disabilities and all veterans.
The salary range for this position is $115,000 - $124,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more perks and programs.
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education or equivalent professional experience. (The educational requirement may be substituted by professional experience on a year for year basis).
- Five (5) years’ experience leveraging delivered database schemas to achieve business goals with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Two (2) years’ experience with Oracle Databases, writing queries, working with views, etc.
- Previous IT experience within an institution of higher education.
- Experience with/knowledge of integration architectures.
- Experienced in data analysis.
- Experience with data quality and modeling tools.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Posting Date: Aug 8, 2019
Unposting Date: Ongoing