Digital Media Specialist
Department:: College Relations
Locations:: Des Plaines, IL
Posted:: Jul 29, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Part Time Staff
About Oakton Community College :
For over 40 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Basic Function and Responsibility:
The Digital Media Specialist is a storyteller who is responsible for promoting the College across different media through photography, video, and digital creations. This role partners with College departments and leaders to advise on potential projects, lead content gathering, and create finished products while acting as subject matter expert for digital media.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Produces multimedia related to marketing and promotional needs and events, including the storyboarding, scripting, recording, editing, publishing, and delivery of material through the appropriate media channels as needed to accomplish objectives.
- Records video and takes photographs of College events and activities.
- Translates and executes marketing vision into electronic multimedia and photographic/video material for the purpose of promoting the college.
- Maintains descriptions, tags, copyright notices, and thumbnails for videos and photos within asset management system.
- Directs talent, crew, and resources involved with assigned media projects. Responsible for all post-production and finishing of projects, including editing, approval and duplication for the finished product.
- Submits regular projects status reports in writing for inclusion into weekly updates.
- Directs, trains, and schedules student worker(s) for college event recording and photography as needed.
- Maintains up to date technological knowledge and skills.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Hiring Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Associate degree with specific courses in electronic communications including photography, videography, editing, and media distribution or an equivalent combination of training and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired is required. Bachelor degree in communications or related field preferred.
- Two or more years' experience in electronic communications within a media production environment. Experience in an Electronic News Gathering department preferred.
- Full competency with video editing software required. Competency in Final Cut or Adobe Creative Cloud (Premiere) suite of products preferred.
- Full competency in broadcast and DSLR cameras, professional lighting, and digital audio equipment for field and studio production.
- Intermediate experience with project management, scheduling, and customer service required.
- Competency in computer-generated graphics and encoding media required.
- Ability to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends and travel between campuses and to off campus events.
- Demonstrated active listening to determine client needs and build partnerships.
Work is done in both a general office work environment as well as onsite and offsite for Campus events. Local travel, especially between campuses, is required. Job duties may be performed in hot, cold, indoor, or outdoor environments. Required physical efforts including the ability to lift up, carry, and move equipment and the ability to sustain long periods of standing and walking.
Administrative supervision is received from the Director of Marketing. Functional supervision from the Manager of Graphic Design and Production.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 8:15 am - 1:15 pm with the exception of coverage for enterprise-wide events, special events, or in response to media needs.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required