Linux Systems Administrator
Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy TypeEHRA Non-FacultyIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoWorking TitleLinux Systems AdministratorSalary RangeAnticipated Hiring Range$80,000 - $82,000Position Number00050175Work ScheduleMonday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. and as needed after hoursFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.00Department140401 - Electrical & Computer Engr.DepartmentElectrical & Computer Engr.Job City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering has as its mission the accumulation, generation, and dissemination of knowledge in Electrical and Computer Engineering. Central to the mission is a high quality research and educational program that benefits our students, the State of North Carolina, the nation and the world. The Department acts as a focal point for development, growth and entrepreneurship.Essential Job Duties
The Linux Systems Administrator:
- Serves as the sole support for the department’s RedHat Enterprise Linux and Ubuntu systems.
- Supports the lifecycle (Provision, Monitor, Troubleshoot, Backup, Replace/Recycle) of all 250 of the department’s various Linux desktop computers, servers, mobile, and IOT devices; including support of all Linux based academic remote access servers, multiple teaching labs, and research systems.
- Evaluates, tests, and deploys Linux software for research and teaching within our Andrew File System (AFS) environment; via RPM; and manually on individual machines or clusters as needed. Upgrades deployed software as new versions are received and inform affected users. Documents software creation techniques/procedures.
- Provides advanced Linux workstation and server hardware support and troubleshooting. Works directly with vendors when needed to resolve issues.
- Creates and maintains policies across all systems utilizing the campus Foreman/Puppet configuration management system to assure their security and compliance with the campus EndPoint Protection Standards.
- Serves as member of Campus Linux Services committee. Assists with debugging, maintenance, and deployment of the campus Linux environment, identifying and helping to resolve issues that impact ECE systems.
- Closely works with faculty, staff, and students to maintain a positive end user experience. Determines the need for and conduct end-user training.
- Assists with support of departmental server room.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or closely related degree from an appropriately accredited institution; or a Bachelor’s degree from an appropriately accredited institution and one year of experience in operations analysis and design, systems programming or closely related area; or an Associate’s degree in Computer Information Technology, Computer Engineering Technology or Networking Technology from an appropriately accredited institution and two years of experience in operations analysis and design, systems programming or closely related area; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.Departmental Required Skills
- Advanced knowledge of and experience working with client machines running RedHat Enterprise Linux and Ubuntu Linux.
- Experience administering large numbers of Linux desktops.
- Experience with automation: scripting, testing and documentation of processes.
- Programming and version control concepts; in particular shell script, python and git.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of Linux software support: application installation and deployment strategies (both local and network based).
- Detailed understanding of remote access, clustering, backup, auditing, and virtualization technologies within a Linux environment.
- Understanding of fundamental networking concepts including DHCP/DNS, network file systems and client-based firewalls.
- General hardware troubleshooting and repair skills.
- Ability to recognize and replace key hardware components.
- Ability to work directly and independently with vendors’ technical support personnel.
- Experience with desktop driver support (video cards, GPUs, printers, etc) in Linux.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Extensive experience in customer service and system administration.
- Ability to explain complex technical issues to a non-technical audience.
- Project management skills and excellent organization is required to keep track of and plan for upgrades throughout the year.
- Ability to independently research issues and possible solutions and alternatives.
- 3+ years of experience in an hands on IT help desk (not purely phone support) environment supporting
- RedHat Linux and/or Ubuntu Linux
- Experience with infrastructure monitoring frameworks (ex: Nagios, Sensu, Foreman)
- Experience with Linux-based configuration management technologies (ex: Puppet, Chef, BCFG 2)
- Previous experience with CUDA and Deep Learning software
- Previous experience creating and maintaining Docker or Singularity images
- Previous experience maintaining LSF clusters
Please upload your resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references.Job Open Date07/05/2019Anticipated Closing DateIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date07/29/2019AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you selected "Other" for the previous question, please provide the source you learned about this opportunity from.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please briefly describe your experience with scripting for Systems Administration purposes.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please briefly describe some common driver issues experienced on Linux desktops /workstations.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please briefly describe your experience in Linux administration (including the number ofdesktops). In particular, note any experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Ubuntusupport.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References