Assistant Vice President of Business & Financial Affairs
Posting DetailsClassification TitlePosition CategoryWorking TitleAssistant Vice President of Business & Financial AffairsJob Summary
The Assistant Vice President (AVP) for Business and Financial Affairs is the senior institutional budget officer reporting to the Vice President for Business and Financial Affairs. The AVP for Business and Financial Affairs is responsible for the financial and managerial integrity of financial systems and processes utilized in the University’s business activities.
The successful candidate is responsible for budgetary operations including preparation and monitoring of the University’s annual budget. The AVP monitors the operating budget and ensues that transactions are executed in accordance with the approved budget; budget revisions are made in accordance with administrative authorization and criteria; and departments adjust their operations in accordance with budget.
The AVP is also responsible for accounting, accounts payable, travel management, grants and contracts accounting, procurement, payroll, cash management, asset management, depreciation system, fiscal regulatory compliance and compliance with federal, state and Board of Regents policies, procedures, and guidelines.
The successful candidate:
• Serves as the Chief Budget Officer of the University.
• Coordinates and leads the annual budget development process, to include input and participation by department heads from all units across the institution, and culminating in the approval of a fiscal year budget
plan by the President and his/her Cabinet.
• Prepares reports and provides interpretive budget analysis; explains budget process and resource allocation to constituent groups.
• Collects, compiles, verifies and disseminates budget and financial data; including peer benchmarks and comparisons.
• Analyzes budget trends within the University and institutions within the University System of Georgia.
• Provides guidance in planning budget strategies to maximize budget efficiencies and makes recommendations to solve special situations.
• Analyzes policy decisions to determine short term and long-range financial and organization implications.
• Recommends and implements changes in financial policies and procedures as necessary; writes policies and procedures as directed by the Vice President.
• Oversees the accounting, accounts payable, payroll units and ensures that all procedures are done in accordance with methods prescribed by the Board of Regents and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
• Oversees the purchasing of materials and services for the University; assures that acquisitions are made according to guidelines established by the Board of Regents and the rules and regulations of the Department of Administrative Services.
• Reviews accounting records, ledgers, journals, etc. to ensure the accuracy of the University’s financial records.
• Reviews and analyzes major contractual obligations of the University to ensure consistency with overall financial goals, objectives, and plans and compliance with University financial policies, procedures, and standards.
• Oversees MRR and GSFIC funding management.
• Supervises relations with state auditors, coordinates state appropriation requests and develops information required by staff of state agencies and the legislature.
• Supervises, coaches, and evaluates staff using proven and effective management techniques and within guidelines of University policies and procedures; provides training and development opportunities for staff when appropriate.
• Remains current and knowledgeable of industry standards, trends, and emerging practices.
• Evaluates and manages risk related to reliable financial reporting.
• Liaisons directly with the Board of Regents to provide all informational requests for financial information that is not part of standard reporting requirements.
• This is designated by the University as a Position of Trust.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field.
• A minimum of ten (10) years of progressive management experience, at least five (5) must be in a budgeting, accounting or business management leadership position.
• Strong understanding of fund accounting, preferably within higher education institution as well as a knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and knowledge of Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) guidelines.
• Experience in interpreting and applying federal, state, and/or university regulations and policies governing organizational business and accounting activities.
• Extensive knowledge and understanding of strategic planning, analytical, and program evaluation.
• Demonstrated comprehensive knowledge of accounting, budget, financial reporting and analysis.
• Demonstrated experience in managing relationships and influencing outcomes.
• Demonstrated leadership experience involving a high level of decision-making, planning and organizational, problem resolution and leadership skills.
• A solid understanding of internal control concepts and the implementation of internal control systems in a complex business environment.
• Excellent supervisory and management skills. Excellent communication skills to include strong presentation and writing skills.
• An advanced degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Management.
• CPA, CMA, or CFGM strongly preferred.
Savannah State University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative-Action Institution committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, genetics, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected Veteran status. Georgia is an Open Records State.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation.
Your application is not considered complete until all required documents have been uploaded to the appropriate section.
Complete application online at https://jobs.savannahstate.edu. Submit cover letter, resume, current reference letters (3) and transcripts.
Review of applications will begin on August 30, 2019. For best consideration, please apply by this date. This position will remain open until filled.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Savannah State University Website
- Savannah State University Employee
- * Do you have a Bachelor's degree in Accounting or a related field?
- * Do you have a minimum of ten (10) years of progressive management experience with at least five (5) in a budgeting,accounting or business management leadership position?
- * Are you a CPA, CMA, or CFGM?
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Reference 1
- Letter of Reference 2
- Letter of Reference 3
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Other Document