Co-Director, University Writing Center
Posting InformationPosting Information Position TitleCo-Director, University Writing CenterJob Posting Number202038FACJob LocationSan MarcosDepartmentEnglishPosition Description
The Department of English at Texas State University invites applicants for a full-time (nine-month) faculty position at the rank of associate professor or professor to begin in Fall 2020.
Successful applicant will co-direct a recently authorized University Writing Center and teach first-year writing as well as advanced undergraduate and graduate courses on topics concerning the practice of writing, writing across the curriculum, and writing in the discipline. Duties include expanding an existing writing center by building a research focus and serving faculty as well as masters and doctoral students. The expanded center will partner with faculty across campus, as well as industry and government entities. The position is 50% of FTE in fall and spring semesters; in addition the successful applicant is to teach one course per semester, supervise theses, and conduct research that leads to publication.Required Qualifications
• Ph.D. in composition or closely related field;
• Record of scholarly productivity in writing, writing centers, writing across the curriculum (WAC), writing in the disciplines (WID), writing about writing (WaW) or related work;
• An existing repertoire of WAC/WID materials, practices, processes, and pedagogies;
• Documented effective supervision of writing program/centers/WAC or WID programs;
• Documented success with collaborating across campus and working with faculty, students, and staff from diverse backgrounds;
• Experience developing, organizing, and leading workshops; garnering institutional support; planning events for students; and developing curriculum and faculty commitment to writing;
• Ability to train students and faculty to lead workshops and events;
• Skill at diagnosing and solving writing, curricular, and programmatic problems;
• Experience teaching first-year writing; and
The successful applicant will receive the appropriate rank and title based on university and department established standardsPreferred Qualifications
• Evidence of interdisciplinary collaboration off campus with industry or government partners;
• Experience training tutors or and writing center faculty/staff;
• Experience or ability to devise programming that encourages faculty to participate in WAC/WID or related activities, including workshops and faculty fellowships;
• Knowledge and experience collecting and reporting center/WAC/WID data and outcomes; and
• Familiarity with educational needs of multi-lingual, first generation, or historically underrepresented writers and faculty.
Only applications submitted through the Texas State University website will be accepted and considered, https://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/25836.
Position is open until filled; however, for full consideration, please submit all of the following materials by November 1, 2019: 1) a letter of application, 2) current curriculum vitae, and 3) contact information for three references (to follow curriculum vitae).
The selected candidate will be required to provide official transcripts from all degree-granting universities.Proposed Start DateFall 2020Open DateReview Date11/01/2019Close DateOpen Until Filled?YesLegal Notices
Texas State University, to the extent not in conflict with federal or state law, prohibits discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of record checks and verifications including criminal history, driving records, education records, employment verifications, reference checks, and employment eligibility verifications.
Texas State University is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of any tobacco product will not be allowed anywhere on Texas State property or in university owned or leased vehicles.
Texas State University is a member of the Texas State University System. Texas State University is an EOE.
Texas State University is home to more than 38,000 students and 2,000 faculty members in the growing Austin-San Antonio corridor. A member of the Doctoral Universities: Higher Research Activity Carnegie classification, the university creates new knowledge, fosters cultural and economic development, and prepares its growing population of diverse students for the endless possibilities that await them as citizens of Texas, the nation, and the world.
Bolstered by research with relevance and innovation in creative and scholarly work in a full range of academic disciplines and a spirit of inclusiveness, Texas State seeks outstanding candidates for a variety of faculty positions.Quick Linkhttp://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/25836Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- DD 214/DD1300
- Veteran's Preference