Human Resources Coordinator
Department:: Human Resources
Locations:: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posted:: Aug 7, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Dutchess Community College:
Located in the heart of New York's beautiful and historic mid-Hudson Valley, just 90 minutes north of New York City, DCC is part of the State University of New York, the largest comprehensive public higher education system in the country. A winner of the 2015 HEED Award for inclusiveness, DCC is dedicated to respecting individuality, embracing diversity and partnering with the community to achieve shared goals. The College welcomes applications from faculty and staff who share and are anxious to support the institution's values of Excellence, Access, Diversity, Collaboration and Accountability, and who are passionate about engaging with both students and the community.
Human Resources Coordinator
This position is a professional administrative position in the Office of Human Resources Management at Dutchess Community College. The human resources coordinator supports the functional needs of the department and has diverse responsibilities. Reporting to the director, this position will provide HR customer service and support in a wide range of areas to facilitate the smooth and effective delivery of HR services for the entire institution and affiliated offices. The human resources coordinator addresses routine inquiries related to employment, compensation, labor negotiations, and employee relations. The position primarily supports faculty and staff HR functions while providing some back up to student employment as needed. The coordinator assists other members of the HR team with a wide variety of reports, outreach, recruitment, and special projects requiring a degree of initiative, judgment, discretion, problem solving, and data analysis. The position handles the colleges employment website and job postings, is the front HR contact for the DCC Association, maintains the director's appointment calendar, arranges meetings/conference calls, organizes and schedules orientations, and coordinates other HR functions such as background investigations, employment verifications, training and professional development.
The human resources coordinator is a key member within the HR department. Successful performance results in enabling the entire HR team to drive the organizational goals of attracting and retaining a great and diverse talent pool and improved student outcomes. The position requires a proactive individual with excellent interpersonal skills and knowledge of Federal and State labor laws.
- Respond to and assist employees and external constituents with general HR related questions and employee requests.
- Redirect HR related calls or distribute correspondence to the appropriate person of the HR team or other departments.
- Liaise with other departments or functions (Payroll Services, Business Office, Academic Affairs etc.).
- Maintain confidentiality and security of employee and departmental records, files, and information including personal data, employee privacy, and matters relating to employee discipline.
- Support the recruitment / hiring process by performing background checks, orientation set up, Board resolutions, 211 waivers, and issue employment contracts etc.
- Enters and maintains all employee information in the College's database for the DCC Association
- Provide written and verbal employment verification.
- Act as a liaison between employees and insurance providers and vendors.
- Assist supervisors in performance management procedures and tracking.
- Schedule meetings, conferences, HR events etc. and maintain the team's calendar and agenda.
- Assist the Director in labor relations and negotiation matters such as data preparation, Labor Management meeting agendas, agreement language development, and contract proposals.
- Support HR department in carrying out various human resource programs and procedures for all employees; attend all HR staff meetings.
- Coordinate training sessions and seminars.
- Produce and submit reports on general HR activity and employee census information.
- Assist in ad-hoc HR projects, like collection of employee feedback, audits, mailings, and surveys.
- Assist with providing and organizing research for policies, strategic planning, labor relations, training, and other human resources issues.
- Coordinate the department budget, order supplies, and submit invoices to Accounts Payable department for processing.
- Serve as back-up for adjunct and student hiring processing.
- Maintain HR website content and job posting system
- Participate in departmental, divisional, and institutional assessment activities.
- Perform other duties and support other functions as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources Management or related discipline required
- Two or more years of human resource experience required. Experience in a Higher Education Human Resources setting is preferred.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Publisher required.
- Demonstrated experience with HR databases and HRIS systems.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of Federal and State labor laws as well as human resources processes and best practices
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and discretion
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as strong math skills
- Ability to work within deadlines and to manage competing priorities in a positive manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work well with a diverse population
- Professional and welcoming customer service skills with the ability to tolerate interruptions
- Good organizational and time management skills
This position is categorized as management confidential FLSA Exempt. All offers of employment are contingent, subject to criminal and educational verification. This position will remain open until qualified candidates have been identified.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter.
Applications from minorities, veterans, the disabled and all others are encouraged (AA/EOE).