Research Technician - Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology (117088)
Institute for Genomic Biology
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Primary Position Function/Summary:
The incumbent will provide technical support for physiological measurements on the RIPE project. This position requires work at the greenhouse laboratory and field.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Physiological measurements (mainly, but not limited to, photosynthesis, chlorophyll fluorescence and transpiration, with concurrent tissue sampling)
- Biochemical measurements (mainly, but not limited to, Rubisco isolation and characterization, plant carbon: nitrogen content analysis, leaf starch, carbohydrate and soluble sugar analysis)
- Processing plant tissue for RNA and protein analysis (including RNA isolation, cDNA production, gene expression analysis).
- Keep detailed written reports of these experiments, and archive data obtained.
- Undertake data entry, processing, and statistical analysis of the gathered data, and provide written summaries of these statistical analyses.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in Plant Science, Integrative Biology, Agronomy, Agriculture, or related fields
- Preferred: Master’s degree in Plant Science, Agronomy, Agriculture, or related fields
- Required: Experience working with plants and/or experience performing biochemical assays in a research lab, a good understanding of scientific and research practices
- Preferred: Experience with gas exchange measurements, chlorophyll fluorescence, radioactive materials, and the use of statistical analysis software such as SAS or R Statistical Software
Training, Licenses or Certifications:
- Required: Valid US driver's license
- Preferred: Ability to work with radiation (14C) and obtain radiation safety permits
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Background in plant physiology. Ability to work independently but also as part of a team. Ability to work with radiation (14C) and obtain radiation safety permits. Willingness to work during weekends, early mornings and evenings, when necessary. Excellent active listening and written and verbal communication skills. Proficiency with computers, especially Excel MSOffice. Ability to maintain written records. Willingness to learn and in turn train others. Proactive in problem solving; self-sufficient. Willingness to travel for periods of work at our winter field site in Puerto Rico. Knowledge of RNA and protein extraction, SDS-PAGE gel electrophoresis, and immunoblotting. Knowledge in statistics and experimental designs, and supporting software. Knowledge in operating plant physiology-related equipment. More experience may be preferred.
Environmental Demands: Greenhouse, laboratory, and field. Position involves carrying items weighing at least 15 pounds. Ability to work outside, stand, walk, kneel, and stoop for extended periods.
This position is a 12-month, 100% time academic professional appointment with regular University benefits. The proposed starting date is negotiable after the close date. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your letter of interest (including email address), resume and contact information for three professional letters of reference by August 21, 2019. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. For further information regarding the application procedures, you may contact Jacinda King, [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Vice Chancellor for Research Category:6-Research Title:Research Technician - Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology (117088) Open Date:08/07/2019 Close Date:08/21/2019 Organization Name:Institute for Genomic Biology