Director, Community Relations
Job location: Worcester
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-08-07
JOB TITLEDirector, Community RelationsLOCATIONWorcesterDEPARTMENT NAMEGovernment & Community RelationsDIVISION NAMEWorcester Polytechnic Institute - WPIJOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARYThe Director of Community Relations provides high level professional and confidential administration for the Office of Government and Community Relations. The Director of Community Relations will help support Public Relations work relative to local Community and Government Relations. The position interacts closely with community leaders, WPI’s leadership, as well as with WPI faculty, staff, students, alumni, and donors. The role requires expert customer service skills, discretion, and strong discernment and judgment. The incumbent will report to the Assistant Vice President (AVP) Government and Community Relations (G&CR).JOB DESCRIPTION
- Develop and implement effective and coordinated local relations strategies and support the university in promoting these agendas to local elected officials (School committee, City Council etc.) local non-profit partners, neighbors and the local community at large.
- Under supervision of the AVP, works closely with the President’s office, V.P. Finance, Director of Alumni Relations and other WPI officials as appropriate, to serve as coordinator for the university’s community relations activities.
- Act as the university’s initial point of contact regarding community issues and serve as liaison to key local officials and stakeholders.
- Initiate strategies for promoting and facilitating community relations within the university and local community and identify outreach opportunities from a community relations perspective.
- Develop relationships within the community in efforts to advance WPI. Work with the AVP G&CR, the President’s Office, others in WPI leadership, and appropriate campus leaders to manage the university's participation, expertise and presence in key community events.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of community issues; resolve routine concerns, answer questions and respond to needs and opportunities identified within the community. Prepare background materials and perspective on courses of action for routine issues and concerns. Identify important community issues confronting the university and develop appropriate analysis to produce policy and action recommendations for the President and other WPI leadership.
- Make presentations to and work with Elected Officials, advisory councils, commissions, the business community, civic groups, community non-profit partners and the general public as assigned. Oversee special projects as determined by the AVP; initiate and carryout project plans with broad reaching oversight of various areas of the University.
- Collaborate and participate in meetings as requested with members of the WPI and local communities. Serve on various University committees and task forces as assigned.
- Manage data gathering for various member organizations such as HECCMA and work with the Office of Institutional Research and the Marketing office to develop an annual or bi-annual Community Impact Report.
- Develop and manage a strategic plan and budget for community relations activities.
- Assist the AVP with state and federal activities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent from an accredited institution.
- Three years’ experience in a community or government relations position.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills, and strong attention to detail.
- Positive attitude, mental agility, intellectual curiosity and strong work ethic.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and work independently.
- Strong personal and professional integrity with the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to maintain professional discretion in order to comply with instructions, procedures, standards, policies, laws, and theories that are obtained within the organization.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Outlook.