Job location: Medical Center (Charlottesville, VA)
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-08-21
Pamela Sutton-Wallace, Chief Executive Officer of University of Virginia Medical Center, serves as the preceptor and determines, with the Fellow, the content of the experience. She previously served as Senior Vice President for Hospital Operations of Duke University Hospital where she was responsible for several key operational areas including Perioperative, Emergency/Trauma, Diagnostic, Med-Surg-Critical Care and Facility and Support Services. Pamela Sutton-Wallace completed her administrative fellowship at Duke University Hospital, and enjoys mentoring, motivating, and encouraging the next generation of leadership.
The Fellow will benefit from ongoing collaboration with the entire senior leadership team and will be intimately involved in an extensive range of strategic, clinical, and operational projects. The term “structured flexibility” most accurately describes the design of the Fellowship. The content of the experience is tailored to best match the individual’s educational and organizational development needs. As such, the following components and characteristics provide a basic framework for defining the Fellowship experience.
The UVA Medical Center Administrative Fellowship Program provides individuals with a post-graduate experience in an academic medical center to better prepare them as a healthcare leader. Fellows benefit from interaction with Medical Center senior leadership and are involved in a range of strategic, clinical and operational projects. They also receive first-hand experience of public policy on a local, regional and national level.
The fellowship is a two-year commitment. Fellows report directly to the Chief Executive Officer of the Medical Center, Pamela Sutton-Wallace.
What To Expect of Your Fellowship Experience
- Rotations through all service lines, operational areas and corporate support services during the first year
- Focused area of concentration in the second year
- Exposure to the CEO, senior executive leadership and Medical Center staff
- Participation in a wide range of senior leadership meetings
- Strategic and operational projects in several corporate/centralized departments (e.g. finance, clinical and general operations)
- Participation in and completion of special projects/programs central to the Medical Center (e.g. Joint Commission preparation, budget development, clinical program analysis and legislative efforts)
- Serve as the CEO’s liaison to patient relations
- Exposure to and involvement in activities of the Health System Board
- Development of essential skills for leadership (including analysis, project management, written and oral presentations, etc.)
Who is a Candidate?
Candidates include U.S. citizens and permanent residents currently enrolled in a graduate degree program (MBA, MHA, MHSA, MPH, MPA etc.).
What Do I Need to Apply?
To apply for the Administrative Fellowship, please fill out an online application. The application packet should be submitted in one pdf document on or before 11:59PM on October 2, 2019. Applications will not be considered past the deadline date.
A complete application will consist of the following:
- Statement of interest with career goals and objectives specific to the area(s) of interest during your fellowship tenure (one page limit)
- Official transcripts of graduate and undergraduate education
- Two letters of recommendation (one from a previous employer is preferred)
Additional information on the Administrative Fellowship program is available here:https://uvahealth.com/about/health-system-info/fellowship-program
November 2019 is the targeted selection announcement date, with the fellowship beginning on or around July 1, 2020. Correspondence and questions regarding the UVA Administrative Fellowship program should be directed to:
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.Position Compensation Range: $47,486.40 - $64,084.80 Annual
Education: Bachelor’s Degree and participant in an accredited Master’s Degree program.
Experience: No experience required.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require walking some distance to attend meetings, and programs.The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.