Administrative Assistant I/ Registrar's Office
Administrative Assistant I/ Registrar's Office
About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Campus Title: Administrative Assistant I/ Registrar's Office
State Job Title: Administrative Assistant I
Department: Registrar's Office
Job Code: H15X01
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Funding: 7115-0100 (State Funds)
Bargaining Unit: AFSCME
Job Type: Full-Time Permanent
Timeframe: 52 weeks
Shift: 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.
Regular Days Off: Saturday and Sunday
Supervision Received: Receives supervision from the Assistant Registrar.
Supervision Exercised: None
Salary: $1,707.31 Bi-Weekly
General Statement of Duties:
The Administrative Assistant I position provides direct service (in person, through phone calls, mail, email and front counter) related to student records. Responsible for processing changes in student records from enrollment through graduation by responding to questions and assisting students, advisors, and faculty, and completing documentation to verify student status. Oversees the walk away process on Westfield 360, working closely with the Office of Retention and Engagement. Provides support during registration and graduation. Coordinates the data entry of academic department course schedules, working closely with department chairs to resolve any issues. Runs and analyzes reports to maintain a high level of data integrity. Assists with commencement ceremonies and all unit operational functions as requested.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include but not limited to:
- Maintains knowledge of the University policies related to program academic policies, program requirement, registration, graduation and records.
- Prepares and sends welcome information to newly accepted undergraduate students.
- Coordinates with the Office of Retention and Engagement to process course withdrawal's and no-show processes, and responds to faculty inquires.
- Builds academic department schedules in the Banner data base and works closely with department chairs to manage course additions/cancellations and reassignment of students. Assists with the preparation of the online course offerings.
- Reviews and analyzes data relevant to course scheduling; for example, time/instructor and room conflicts, reserved seating by class and major, and special course designations.
- Assists faculty with grade submission and contact faculty regarding missing grades.
- Provides support for all office functions, including, but not limited to, pre-registration, add/drop, new and transfer student orientation, returning student registration, graduation, mailings, and file management.
- Composes letters and documentation to verify student enrollment and graduation status for students and outside agencies.
- Provides accurate and timely information regarding University policies and procedures in compliance with FERPA.
- Provides support for a portion of front coverage.
- Works with confidential material and sensitive matters with integrity, diplomacy and discretion.
- Works independently on special projects as assigned.
Qualifications Required at Hire:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of office management.
- Ability to analyze and determine the applicability of data, to draw conclusions, and to make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
- Ability to deal tactfully with others.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
- Ability to prepare general reports.
- Ability to write concisely, to express thoughts clearly, and to develop ideas in logical sequence.
Qualifications Acquired on Job:
Knowledge of the types and uses of agency forms; knowledge of state procedures governing the purchasing and requisitioning of supplies and equipment; knowledge of state accounting and budgetary procedures. Knowledge of Banner and other technological systems.
For the majority of new employees, the minimum starting salary will apply. Specific salary for current Westfield State University employees and individuals currently working for the state of Massachusetts must be calculated individually in accordance with collective bargaining and state policies and procedures.
State job specifications for this position may be found at the department of higher education website: http://www.mass.edu/foremployees/classificationspecs/classspecs-pers.asp
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
An online application is required. A resume and cover letter may be attached but this is not required.
Deadline: Review of applications will begin August 5, 2019. The job posting will be open a minimum of ten days and, if needed, will remain open until finalist have been selected.
NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=114086
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency