County Extension Agent
This position is responsible for coordinating assigned Cooperative Extension programming.
Family & Consumer Sciences
- Implements Expanded Food and Nutrition Education programming.
- Provides training in nutrition and childcare.
- Develops and implements nutrition programs.
- Conducts in-service training for staff of other agencies.
- Conducts diabetes education classes; conducts classes on chronic disease management.
- Visits clients with chronic diseases.
- Assists with community gardens.
- Create and strengthen community partnerships at appropriate levels:
- Faith-based and community organizations
- Youth Serving Organizations (i.e. YMCAs, Boys & Girls Clubs, and School Referral Service)
- Housing Authorities
- Collaborates with other agencies and community groups to plan and implement programs;Conducts promotional efforts to expand the public's view of extension programming;Utilizes current research data and information on emerging issues in program development and teaching;
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of Cooperative Extension policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the field of family and consumer science as assigned.
- Knowledge of teaching methods, strategies, and techniques.
- Knowledge of computers and job related software programs.
- Skill in planning, organizing, directing and coordinating the work of volunteers.
- Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions.
- Skill in the preparation of clear and precise administrative reports.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The Director of Field Operations assigns work in terms of very general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include the Cooperative Extension Program rules and regulations and college and department policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of varied educational and program management duties. The variety of topics to be addressed contributes to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to coordinate assigned Cooperative Extension programs. Success in this position results in the efficiency and effectiveness of program operations.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other college personnel, teachers and students, volunteer groups, elected and appointed officials, farmers, homeowners, health professionals, media representatives, community based organizations, governmental agencies, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to provide services, to give or exchange information, to resolve problems, or to motivate or influence persons.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light objects and uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity.
- The work is typically performed in an office and outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
- Baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field required.
- More than two years of related experience required.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated. Experience and knowledge in computer usage required.