Associate University Librarian for Research & Learning Services
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-08-02
Two hundred years ago, the University of Virginia was conceived with a library at its heart, in a Rotunda that is the centerpiece of the Academical Village. Today, the Library’s original purpose remains unchanged: to advance learning and promote new insights by providing access to accumulated knowledge. In pursuit of that goal, we collect, preserve, organize, and share materials of all kinds. The UVA Library is known not only for its record of the past, but also for the work it does in developing and supporting new modes of scholarship and teaching, and for its contributions to national and international collaborations.
The University of Virginia Library is hiring an Associate University Librarian (AUL) for Research & Learning Services. With responsibility for the overall administration and coordination of the Library's public-facing services and public spaces, the AUL will articulate a vision and strategic direction to advance the Library's research and instruction efforts; develop, sustain, and promote innovative services; create welcoming and useful spaces; and expand outreach to the campus community in support of teaching, learning, artistic activity and scholarship.
The AUL for Research & Learning Services will join the UVA Library at an exciting and transformative time. The University will soon embark on a major renovation of Alderman Library, UVA’s first and largest Library. The incoming AUL will have a unique opportunity to re-envision the services provided out of University libraries.The Position Overview
Reporting to the University Librarian, the AUL for Research & Learning Services will provide leadership for the subject liaison program, the teaching and learning program, faculty programs, and specialized user services provided in places like the Scholars’ Lab and the Robertson Media Center. The AUL for Research & Learning Services will also guide our information services, including reference, reserves and circulation, and will ensure that our libraries provide a consistent, pleasant, and productive experience to all researchers and library visitors. This position oversees the development of services and programming for new and evolving teaching and research tools and methods, including those for digital scholarship, multimedia production and use, and data management and analysis. The AUL will provide direction for initiatives, programs, or projects that enhance our value as partners and collaborators in the research process, and that establish the library as an effective partner in and host of cross-disciplinary conversations.
The AUL for Research & Learning Services will work closely with the Library’s Senior Leadership Team to fulfill the goals of the Library, including the provision and improvement of services during a major renovation project in the main library building, and a capital campaign for the university and the library. This AUL will work with peers and other colleagues to develop a user-centered collections strategy, to promote scholarly community, and to steward university resources in a responsible and forward-looking way.
Using data about existing services and about the demand for new services, the AUL will assess the impact of library services, drive responsible resource allocation, demonstrate the value of the Library to the University, and develop strategic alliances with external partners in pursuit of shared goals.Key ResponsibilitiesLeadership
- Serve on the Library’s Senior Leadership Team (SLT).
- Manage a large team of approximately 60 staff members, including 6 direct reports.
- Provide strategic leadership and vision for teams of subject liaisons and functional experts (e.g., data service librarians, digital scholarship librarians, reference specialists).
- Enhance existing strengths in data services, digital scholarship, and liaison librarianship.
- Represent the UVA Library in collaborative work across the University and with peer institutions.
- Support staff through a period of transition as the main library building undergoes a major renovation.
- Manage logistics of public services over the course of a 2+ year renovation, introducing thoughtful and innovative solutions.
Compelling candidates will have experience managing public services for a large library and at least 5 years of experience managing those who supervise other staff or students. Candidates should demonstrate expertise in leadership, a dedication to service and the ability to foster collaboration among stakeholders. Additionally, candidates should have:Professional Experience
- Extensive knowledge of library systems involved in providing service to users.
- Experience implementing a portfolio of services that support the entire research lifecycle.
- History of overseeing technology-enabled services.
- Expertise in team management and program design.
- Demonstrated interest in staff development.
- Proven track record of building, leading, motivating, and assessing large-scale, diverse teams, including both junior and more experienced professionals.
- Demonstrated ability to hold employees accountable for individual results and drive overall effectiveness of the unit in fulfilling the University's educational mission.
- Extensive experience gathering and using data for decision-making and assessment.
- A master's degree in Library Science or equivalent is required.
- Effective in communicating with leadership, faculty, staff, students, and other community members.
- Imaginative problem-solver.
- The AUL will contribute to an environment that encourages diversity, equity, and inclusion. She/he must have command of cultural sensitivity and must value and embrace cultural, political, and social differences.
Applications should include a resume, cover letter, and contact information for at least three references. The search will be carried out with full confidentiality; candidates will be notified before references are contacted.
For confidential inquiries or to nominate someone for this opportunity, please contact AJ Davidson, Senior Search Consultant with the University of Virginia’s Executive Search Group, at [email protected]
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require walking some distance to attend meetings, and programs.The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.