Job location: Coral Gables, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-08-20
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Where Excellence Meets PurposeThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.
The University of Miami is considered among the top tier institutions of higher education in the U.S. for its academic excellence, superior medical care, and cutting-edge research. At the U, we are committed to attracting a talented work force to support our common purposed of transforming lives through teaching, research, and service. Through our values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) we strive to create an environment where everyone contributes in making UM a great place to work. We are one of the largest private employers in Miami-Dade County; home to more than 13,400 faculty and staff from all over the word.
The Division of Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) supports and promotes the mission, purpose, and priorities of the University of Miami through fundraising and engagement by building and nurturing strategic philanthropic relationships to improve and transform the lives of individuals and communities. We are committed to values central to the Division- Service, Gratitude, Trust, and Partnership- which guide our strategic thinking, decision-making, and day-to-day interaction with each other and our stakeholders.
This position will provide senior-level administrative support for the Educational Engagement team and assist with the management and implementation of lifelong learning programming through alumni programs and special events. This position will be responsible for assisting the Educational Engagement team with planning, coordinating and executing a portfolio of lifelong educational programs and services. The Administrative Assistant will report directly to the Director of Educational Engagement.
• Serves as lead support for all Educational Engagement programs. Interacts with alumni, alumni leaders, volunteers, students, UM administration personally, over the phone, and in writing.
• Develops and manages a system for all Educational Engagement programs, including but not limited to: database administration, mail merges, report management, production of confirmation letters, distribution of event collateral, submission of report retrieval requests, and coordinating production of mailings with appropriate vendors and departments.
• Responsible for data retrieval and manipulation, maintaining reports, and uploading biographical and involvement information in the alumni database system.
• Provides customer service and administrative support in the areas of producing, proofreading, filing and distributing materials to external and internal audiences such as alumni, alumni leaders, administrators, volunteers, students, staff, and campus partners.
• Monitors departmental web site and social media sites for accuracy of information and content quality.
• Oversees program budgets, including but not limited to: processing of income and expense items, purchase orders, interdepartmental requisitions, credit card charges, and deposits in accordance with the policies set forth by the University of Miami, and record keeping. Responsible for tracking budget expenses on a monthly basis and reporting the balances of the accounts to the supervisor.
• Provides front-desk receptionist coverage on a scheduled basis.
• Benchmarks and tracks important alumni outreach objectives including alumni engagements within designated programs.
• Provides coordination to departmental administrators in planning, staffing and executing of alumni activities and UM Alumni Association Board & Alumni Council activities as assigned. Events will include some weekend and evening assignments.
• Assists the Director of Educational Engagement with any other UM Alumni Association matters or responsibilities as deemed appropriate.
• Prioritize telephone messages, maintain Director of Educational Engagement calendar, utilize written communication skills (spelling, grammar, syntax) in order to be able to compose brief communication, and proof read documents prepared by others.
• Develops and implements procedures for providing efficient workflow.
• Engages in the typical responsibilities of an administrative assistant requiring planning, evaluating, organizing, integrating, and controlling traffic flow of a busy reception area.
• Maintains calendars, types, composes correspondence, orders office supplies, prepares financial forms (e.g. internal expense transfers, reimbursements, work orders, check requisitions for department), answers telephones, takes messages, transfers calls, greets visitors, answers routine questions, and directs visitors according to their needs.
• Completes special assignments requiring collecting, organizing, and analyzing data, which may be the basis for significant decisions; performs complex assignments; resolves issues and problems referred by staff or the supervisor.
• Resolves unique situations where each contact must be handled differently using judgement discretion.
• Manages the day-to-day administrative function of the department. Evaluates needs of the department, prioritizes, delegates work as appropriate and required to meet objectives and deadlines. Plans, organizes, and oversees the activities and operations of the office unit.
• Assists in planning for and execution of events (e.g., communicating with internal and external vendors, staffing, logistics, and lodging) as necessary.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
• This person must have an excellent command of all Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access at an advanced level. Good communication skills and excellent command of the English language both verbal and written are required.
• Person must have the social and customer service skills necessary for this position. Must have initiative mixed with good, sound judgment. This person must have excellent organizational skills.
• Must be flexible, dedicated, and hard working and a willingness to work in a team driven environment. Must be able to manage multiple tasks and deadlines.
• Must be able to work some nights and weekends when necessary to provide staffing for alumni events and activities.
• Utilize organizational skills in order to be able to prioritize tasks, respond expediently to requests, and follow through on intermediate and long-term projects.
• Work independently under minimal supervision and able handle multiple projects simultaneously in a busy work environment with frequent interruptions and distractions.
• Ensures integrity, confidentiality, and accuracy of information collected.
• A minimum of three years of progressive work experience at a senior level is required. High School graduate or equivalent required. Equivalent combinations of education/experience may be considered.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c103