Laboratory Assistant 2
Laboratory Assistant 2 Job Number Full/Part Time Schedule Salary 201904251301 Full Time 8AM - 5PM $38,294 - $45,101 Position Information Under supervision, participate in regular production of both the Asian Citrus Psyllid and its parasitoid Tamarixia as well as collecting data on the effectiveness of different control strategies in the field. Count and identify insect to be sent out for use by other groups, travel to field sites, identify the insects. Minimum Requirements Graduation from high school or a General Education Diploma and two (2) years of laboratory experience or two (2) years of college including courses in the natural, physical or social sciences and one (1) year of laboratory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience; and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position. Taxonomic knowledge and ability to identify beetles to the subfamily level with an emphasis on Scolytinae , familiarity with ambrosia beetles. Basic knowledge of statistics; familiarity with sampling procedures and diligent recording of data. Proficiency with MSExcel or other data analysis programs. Demonstrated proficient interpersonal and communication skills necessary to interact with post-doctoral researchers, graduate researchers, undergraduate research assistants, growers, university employees, etc. Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team. Ability to plan logistical needs in advance so that supplies are adequately maintained. Ability to see small insects, to operate safely in narrow corridors, and to crouch when necessary to reach cages on lower shelves. Ability to lift heavy weights (up to 50lbs). Willingness to adapt to a colony maintenance schedule which may require hours in the early morning and on weekend and holidays.
Preferred Qualifications BA/BS degree in the life sciences. A minimum of one year experience in the rearing of insects. Additional Information In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities' air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history, and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- UC Riverside was included in the (August 2018) edition of The Princeton Review's "The Best 382 Colleges."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2017) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- In 2016, UCR was recognized for graduation rate success by the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU) for achieving near parity across racial-ethnic, socio-economic, and gender boundaries.
- UCR ranks among the Top 15 Public Research Universities in the nation, as identified by the 2017 Washington Monthly.
- In 2017, two separate reports from the Education Trust celebrated UCR as a national leader for African American and Latino student success. UCR was one of just three schools to be named top-performing institutions in both reports and the only California campus recognized among 18 top-performing colleges and universities in the nation for high black student graduation rates.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview
Job Description Details View complete Job Description for this position