Computer Lab/Learning Management System Specialist
Essential Functions & Qualifications
Computer Lab/Learning Management System Specialist
Salary: $51,108.00 - $56,340.00 Annually
Job Type: Full Time - 12 Months/ 100% FTE
Job Number: FY1920-00023
Location: Cuesta College - San Luis Obispo Campus, CA
Department: Administrative Services
Closing: 8/25/2019 11:59 PM Pacific
Job Description Summary
ABOUT THE COLLEGE
Cuesta College is located in the heart of scenic San Luis Obispo County since 1963, offering many degree programs, certificates, and community programs. We are committed to being an inclusive institution that inspires a diverse student population to achieve their educational goals.
Additional information about the college can be found at
The college planning documents can be found at
We offer comprehensive benefit options. Information about benefits can be found at
Under general supervision of the Dean of Institutional Research, Library, Learning Resources and Instructional Technology and in collaboration with the Chair of Library, Learning Resources and Instructional Technology, manage the operation of the District's Learning Management System (LMS); assist academic personnel in the performance of their duties, including independent supervision and instruction of students and hourly employees; and to perform other related duties as required. The Specialist works closely with Information Technology and vendors to ensure that the LMS meets District functional requirements and that students and faculty receive the support they need to use the LMS effectively.
This class works independently to solve complex technological problems and communicate effectively with a variety of users, and perform a variety of tasks which require the ability to teach and to verbally communicate to students and faculty ideas and skills which were acquired through formal training and/or experience and to train and supervise temporary staff.
Incumbents in this position support student learning outcomes and institutional effectiveness by supporting students in the successful completion of distance education classes.
- Serve as site administrator for the college's LMS and other instructional technology as needed;
- Coordinate LMS system setup for college courses;
- Work with Computer Services to ensure accurate transmittal of data between the LMS and other instructional technology systems and the college Student Information system;
- Support faculty, students, and staff in the technical use of the LMS and other instructional technology;
- Troubleshoot LMS and other instructional technology problems and work with vendor technical support to resolve them;
- Advise the Chair and Dean on best practices regarding the LMS and other instructional technology;
- Provide reports on LMS and other instructional technology usage and functionality as needed;
- Assist students in using hardware and software in the Open Lab and other labs managed by Learning Resources and Instructional Technology;
- Give specialized instruction on one-to-one or group basis;
- Advise students on technology issues as requested;
- Maintain equipment in the laboratory, if in laboratory setting;
- Proctor examinations in accordance with the requirements of the OEI proctoring network;
- Provide assistance in the supervision and instruction of students;
- Use correct English, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation;
- Work with a minimum of supervision;
- Effectively communicate academic concepts and learning strategies;
- Operate photocopying equipment;
- Follow and implement district policies and procedures;
- Perform general clerical tasks; such as typing, filing, organizing, and maintaining records; and
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Associate's degree in computer science, business or related area; or any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science, business or related area or equivalent experience in the field;
- Two years of experience working with students and faculty in areas appropriate to the assignment.
- Experience working with Learning Management systems required.
- Experience coding in HTML/XML and a working knowledge of variety of application software are highly desirable;
- Topics related to particular academic area;
- Excellent facilitation and communication skills;
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills;
- Techniques of supervising and monitoring classroom activities;
- Current technologies, personal computer, and associated office software such as word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and/or database software;
- Correct usage of English, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary; and
- District policies and procedures.
- Comfortably work with people at all levels of the college as well as with vendors;
- Ability to work independently and as a member of teams;
- Demonstrated ability to simultaneously handle a large and diverse number of technical tasks and issues with tact, cooperation and persistence;
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the performance of duties; and
- Demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of staff and students and of staff and students with physical and learning disabilities.
- Read and comprehend printed matter and text and data on computer monitors;
- Communicate intelligibly and effectively via speech, telephone, written correspondence, and/or email;
- Sit or stand for extended periods of time;
- Lift and/or carry 25 pounds; and
- Exert manual dexterity sufficient for keyboard and other office equipment operation.
- Valid driver's license and eligible to obtain California driver's license upon hire
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO APPLY
Candidates will be required to submit a cover letter, resume, reference list, one current letter of recommendation, and unofficial transcripts when applying for this position.
When uploading documents, PDF uploads are preferred.
Current Letter of Recommendation: Your letter of recommendation must be within the last year.
Reference List Instructions: Your reference list must include two professional references, their contact information, and their relationship to you.
Completed online applications and all supporting documents must be submitted by the closing date for this position. LATE, INCOMPLETE, FAXED, MAILED OR EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Below is the full salary schedule range for this position, steps A through E. Per our bargaining agreement, we can only place new employees at Steps A through C, which is the anticipated hiring range also listed below. For a full salary schedule, please see our website: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/depts/humanresources/salary_schedules.html
Cuesta College will not sponsor any visa applications.
San Luis Obispo County Community College District ("Cuesta College") is an equal opportunity employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), age, disability (physical and mental), genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal and state law in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities at any of its campuses. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Cuesta College also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.
In compliance with California law, all prospective staff and students are entitled to read the Annual Security Report, published each October by the Cuesta College Department of Public Safety. This report contains information about our emergency and crime reporting procedures, as well as crime statistics for the past 3 years. You may request a copy of this report at one of our two Public Safety Offices: on SLO campus at Building 6600A or on North County Campus at building N1021, during campus business hours. You may also access the complete text of this report at the following website address: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/depts/publicsafety/clery_act
Interview Process Information
Selected applicants will be invited to attend an interview and skills test on Friday, September 6, 2019.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cuesta
The San Luis Obispo County Community College District promotes inclusiveness, prohibits discrimination, and encourages all qualified persons to apply. As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, Cuesta College actively seeks candidates with diverse backgrounds to assist students, staff, and faculty. For ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) assistance with the application and/or interview process, please contact the Human Resources Office: (805) 546-3129.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency