Job no: 502090
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Information & Donor Services
Categories: Computer & Information Technology
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Reporting to the Director of Donor Information Systems, the Business Analyst is responsible for managing work requests and priorities from university constituents to the Donor Information Systems team. The analyst facilitates strong collaboration and clear communication between the business owner and the programming team to ensure solutions support business priorities. The analyst documents business requirements, creates functional specifications and performs the role of lead tester to further ensure high quality solutions and a positive end-user experience.
The Team: The Donor Information Systems team collaborates with business departments across the University and senior leadership to identify, implement, and support core, enterprise level, custom, technology solutions (including reports, views and dashboards) that support the business operations, fundraising initiatives and outward engagement/communications of the development offices and departments across the University as well as Alumni Relations. The team manages and supports multiple applications such as Ellucian Advance, Salesforce, RNL Campus Call, iModules Encompass, EverTrue, Tableau and SAP Crystal Reports. The applications managed by the team are the foundational data sources for several downstream systems and processes in Development & Alumni Relations and across the University. The team supports data integrations and data transfers with the Registrar’s Office, Human Resources, Alumni engagement applications, giving platforms, fundraising support applications, the general ledger, etc. The team delivers customer focused service in the areas of functional requirements, solutions development, application upgrades/enhancements, report and dashboard creation, data loading/transfers, project management and implementation, testing, production systems support, training, documentation, database queries, data quality/cleansing and end-user support.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the Advancement systems (including Ellucian Advance and Salesforce), reports, underlying data, data structures, business uses of the data and the downstream applications, in order to provide production support.
- Review, analyze and prioritize projects and work requests and maintain effective working relationships with the various departments and personnel who submit work requests.
- Gather and document business requirements, and translate requirements into solutions that support business priorities and provide a high quality user experience. Write functional specifications and collaborate with programmers on technical design and functionality based on documented requirements.
- Manage business requirement changes and scope creep. Ensure changes and additional requirements are vetted and prioritized through the Change Management process. In collaboration with the programmers and business owner, identify impact of changes to downstream applications.
- Perform the role of lead tester by developing and executing comprehensive test plans to ensure the solution is accurate and meets the end-user’s specifications. Types of testing to be performed include: Integration, Regression, Smoke, End-User Acceptance, Security and Performance Testing.
- Manage issue and defect resolutions and participate in all aspects of production support, upgrades, and new projects implementation including training and drafting policies/procedures. Perform work within a set release schedule using a variety of methodologies (including Agile, Waterfall and Hybrid).
- Provide end-user support across all supported applications and functional support during and after project implementations.
- Develop the ability to work with Tableau and other data visualization and reporting tools to create dashboards and reports based on client needs.
- Comply with standards, best practices, and policies defined for the team.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree, preferably with coursework in computer science, information systems or information technology.
- Minimum of three (3) years experience in software development or project management/implementation.
- Ability to synthesize business issues into technical solutions. Experience writing business requirements and functional specifications.
- Knowledge of relational databases; familiarity with Oracle or Salesforce and SQL.
- Experience working with applications for managing data, transactions, automation and reporting.
- Customer service focused. Able to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical staff.
- Detail-oriented and familiar with best practices for testing and product lifecycles.
- Working knowledge of project and software release management processes.
- Strong organizational skills. Must be motivated to learn and adaptable to change. Ability to manage multiple tasks under competing deadlines and shifting priorities.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be familiar with current data security and risk management practices.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience with Ellucian Advance, Salesforce or a fundraising application.
- Experience with reporting and data visualization tools such as Tableau, Qlik, Crystal, etc.
- Experience in a higher education or fundraising environment.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a cover letter and resume by August 30, 2019 to ensure priority consideration. The position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Aug 1 2019 Eastern Daylight Time