Director of Records & Gift Processing
Director of Records & Gift Processing
Job no: 502097
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Information & Donor Services
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Advancement Services, the Director of Records & Gift Processing provides strategic direction and oversight of the university’s processing and maintenance of gifts/pledges/payments and constituent information. The director develops, implements, and oversees processes and procedures to ensure the accurate and timely handling of gift and biographical information in support of the university’s fundraising and alumni relations activities. The position is an experienced management role that is familiar with data management, higher education, and development business operations. The Director develops goals, strategies, and best practices for an organization of service excellence.
- Provide leadership and management of a team responsible for recording and maintaining critical business record and financial transaction data.
- Provide leadership and vision for constituent data acquisition, data integrity, and records management.
- Design and implement integrated systems to manage gift accounting, gift receipts, gift acknowledgments, pledge and pledge payment entry. Design, implement and produce weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports of fundraising results. Produce statistical and benchmarking reports to the UMass Foundation, President’s Office and Trustees.
- Ensure accurate recording of more than 70,000 annual gifts and pledges and timely distribution of all funds.
- Provide project management oversight to ensure team members are allocated appropriately during peak activity seasons.
- Establish, enforce and monitor business process controls designed to safeguard the integrity of finance-related data and protect assets.
- Establish, coordinate, communicate, maintain and document policies and procedures that adhere to institutional and federal requirements (e.g. FASB, FERPA, HIPAA) in coordination with university partners.
- Perform ongoing data and process audits, and provide reports and metrics to ensure data integrity is maintained.
- Stay current on industry technology, data management practices and tax/legal issues related to gifts processing and constituent records.
- Identify the current and long-term development/training needs of individuals and groups, including technical and interpersonal skills, and provide or facilitate access to appropriate learning opportunities.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree with 5 years of progressive experience in development gift entry and database management; 10 years of relevant experience may be substituted in lieu of a Bachelor's degree.
- Management experience.
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills and the ability to manage complex time-sensitive projects with competing deadlines.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills with the ability to diplomatically and sensitively collaborate across teams and navigate a complex academic community to execute initiatives effectively.
- Strong personal integrity and work ethic, along with a sense of humor and perspective.
- Independent decision-making and sound judgment handling confidential material, ability to work collaboratively in a team-based environment. Excellent follow through and attention to detail.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience working with Ellucian Advance System software or similar fundraising software.
- Knowledge of and experience in fundraising efforts, including gift processing, records management, report generation, prospect research and advancement systems.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment activity.
37.5 hours/week, M-F 8:30am-5:00pm.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a resume and cover letter by August, 30 2019 to ensure priority consideration. The position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Aug 1 2019 Eastern Daylight Time