Financial Aid Officer
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Posting TitleFinancial Aid OfficerLocationLos Rios Community College District (American River College)Department LocationFinancial Aid OfficePosting NumberC01028PThe Institution
Founded in 1955, American River College (ARC) is one of the largest institutions of higher education in the Sacramento region, serving about 30,000 diverse students each fall and spring at its main campus and centers.
The college has an outstanding record for academic quality and is among the top community colleges in the state for transferring students to the University of California and California State University systems. The College offers education and support for students to strengthen basic skills, earn associate degrees and certificates, transfer to other colleges and universities, and achieve career as well as other academic and personal goals. ARC also has a strong reputation for its wide array of career programs, in areas such as Healthcare, Hospitality, Human Services, Business & Computer Science, Public Safety, Applied Arts, Advanced Transportation and Manufacturing and Apprenticeship.
Our vision is to transform the future of all students and our community through inclusive, equitable education. The college seeks individuals who share our mission of placing students first by providing an academically rich, inclusive environment that inspires critical thinking, learning and achievement, and responsible participation in the community.
Our Commitment to Social Justice & Equity
American River College strives to uphold the dignity and humanity of every student and employee. We are committed to equity and social justice through equity-minded education, transformative leadership, and community engagement. We believe this commitment is essential to achieving our mission and enhancing our community. The college seeks candidates who are committed to culturally inclusive practices and serving ARC’s student population. Faculty and staff are encouraged to engage in ongoing development of their professional skills. The college thus supports employee engagement in a broad range of trainings, workshops and activities such as the Equity Action Institute, the New Faculty Academy, and the Classified Leadership Academy. In addition, faculty and staff regularly participate in trainings offered through the college’s Center for Teaching and Learning and its Instructional Technology Center.
Under direction of assigned administrator, administers federal and state student financial assistance including: grants, loans, scholarships, Federal Work-Study, and consortium agreements. Conducts entrance and exit loan advising sessions. Employs extensive knowledge and understanding of financial aid programs and regulations. Operates a number of computer application software packages including those designed specifically for processing financial aid. Acts as lead to Financial Aid Office staff. [For a detailed job description for this Los Rios Classified Employees Association (White Collar) posting Job Descriptions click here].
This position is assigned to Financial Aid Office.
Los Rios Community College District offers competitive salaries and a very comprehensive employee benefits package to include medical insurance, CalPERS retirement, and opportunities for additional insurance and financial investments.
Full-time, twelve-month employees receive 17 days of annual paid holidays, 15 days’ vacation yearly (with increases after 5 & 10 years) and 8 hours of sick leave per month. Los Rios also offers extensive professional development opportunities with the district and financial support and/or paid time off to complete external academic studies. (See full LRCEA contract agreement details)Assignment Responsibilities
● Maintains awareness of current trends and legislative activity having financial aid impact.
● Interprets and implements federal rules and regulations required for student aid.
● Identifies and allocates available resources.
● Conducts individual and group entrance and exit loan counseling sessions and informational workshops.
● Explains financial aid policies, procedures, and regulations to enrolled and prospective students.
● Conducts interviews and advises students seeking financial aid.
● Assesses students’ and prospective students’ financial needs.
● Performs needs analyses, using College Scholarship Service or other applicable system.
● Enters selection criteria into the financial aid computer system.
● Determines students’ eligibility for financial aid.
● Reviews and completes Stafford Student Loan applications.
● Processes student applications using a computerized financial aid system.
● Coordinates and packages financial aid for applicants.
● Reviews and determines student eligibility for appeals, consortium requests, special circumstances, and dependency override requests.
● Conducts review of aid packages for satisfactory progress for continued eligibility.
● Monitors compliance with financial award conditions.
● Conducts individual advising sessions regarding debt management.
● Administers federal and state student assistance grants, scholarships, and consortium agreements.
● Completes Bureau of Indian Affairs applications.
● Operates a variety of internal systems including student administration software, document imaging, and Microsoft Office applications.
● Operates a variety of financial aid related computer programs including EDConnect, National Student Loan Data System, Return of Title Four program, Webgrants, and PCFAPS.
● Maintains record keeping and data management systems.
● Analyzes data and creates and generates reports from existing database using a computerized financial aid system to determine awards.
● Coordinates the scholarship program with donors and recipients.
● Develops written materials, brochures, and flyers to publicize financial aid programs and services.
● Expands outreach efforts to diverse populations and supports recruitment objectives by working with Outreach Center, Admissions, and public interest agencies.
● Performs related duties as required.
7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday – FridayTotal Hrs per Week/Day40 hours per weekSpecial RequirementsMinimum Qualifications
EXPERIENCE: Three years of experience in a financial aid office, or performing related financial aid tasks, or in a position of equivalent responsibilities; or three years of experience in a social service agency, preferably including work with disadvantaged clients.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in business, psychology, social service or related fields. (Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for two years of the required education on a year-for-year basis.)
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
(Experience Requirement: One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement. Education Requirement: 15 units are equal to six months of education; 30 units are equal to one year of education.)Application Instructions
1. A completed Los Rios Community College District Classified Application (required).
2. Resume (recommended).
3. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (required).
4. Two (2) letters of recommendation (recommended).
5. Letter of Interest (recommended).
● Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified. Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
● Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as official transcripts.
● It is the responsibility of Los Rios Community College District employees to also provide official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position. (Within 60 days of the time of hire, employees are required to submit official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position).
● Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents.
● A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
● Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators. Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click hereForeign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to [email protected] Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting closing date.Physical DemandsSalary$4,638.69 per month LRCCD Salary SchedulesAdditional Salary InformationNo additional salary information to note Posting Detail Information Posting Date08/01/2019Closing Date08/22/2019Open ContinuouslyNoBeginning and/or Ending Dates
N/AHow and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Office located at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825-3981. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 or come in during our business hours. After hours inquiries should be emailed to [email protected] Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m. of the posting closing date.Conditions
All Positions: Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.Quicklinkhttp://jobs.losrios.edu/postings/12021Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Criminal History Verification and Release: I acknowledge and agree that I understand that by answering the question below, I certify that the information provided by me is true, correct and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief. I authorize investigation of all statements contained herein, and on the P-881 (if applicable and submitted), and I release from liability all persons and organizations furnishing such information. I understand that any misstatements, omissions or misrepresentation of facts on this form, my application, and, if applicable, the P-881 or attachment(s) may be cause for disqualification or dismissal. If you have ever been convicted of an offense other than a minor traffic violation you are required to complete the form "Arrests Which Led to Convictions for Crime", P-881 (you must disclose convictions that have been dismissed pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4; Ed. Code 87008). If needed, copy and paste the provided link, for the form <a href="http://wserver.losrios.edu/hr/forms/P-881,10-2013.pdf" target="_blank">http://wserver.losrios.edu/hr/forms/P-881,10-2013.pdf</a> and attach the completed form to your application.
- Yes, I acknowledge and agree
- No, I do not acknowledge or agree
- * Can you perform the essential functions of this position?
- * Considering this specific position that you are applying to – where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed (Vitea.com)
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Oakland
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Los Angeles
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community Colleges
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- Professional Networks
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3
- Unofficial Transcript 4
- Unofficial Transcript 5
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- P-881 Report of Arrests Which Led To Convictions For Crime Document