Student Mental Health Clinician (10-month Position)
Shenandoah University seeks a professional and enthusiastic individual to serve as a Student Mental Health Clinician in the Counseling Center office. This is a 10-month benefitted position based on our main campus in Winchester, Virginia.
The Student Mental Health Clinician provides individual counseling for SU students on the Winchester campus utilizing brief therapy with limited sessions. This position requires a 9:00am-5:00 pm working day, with one flex day to provide evening hours to accommodate students.
The Student Mental Health Clinician also provides group therapy sessions for SU students. Successful candidates will also be experienced providing treatment in many of the following areas: crisis intervention, brief therapy, working with diverse populations, sexual assault, mood disorders, and/or self-injury.
Counseling techniques offered will be provided with sensitivity and confidentially to the diverse needs of SU students. The Student Mental Health Clinician develops and evaluates psycho-educational programs to various student groups and campus community members as well as coordinates outreach activities. Referral and resource information will be maintained as well as Counseling Center statistics. The Student Mental Health Clinician position reports to the Counseling Center Director.
- Participation in a rotation of on-call after hours for one week per month, responding to after-hours crises.
- Conduct psychosocial assessments for university students including the diagnosis and treatment plan for each student utilizing a specific electronic software program.
- Provide therapeutic time-limited solution-focused individual and group counseling.
- Function and communicate effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds.
- Manage confidential student records and statistical semester reports.
- Provide mental health and substance abuse trainings and consultation for faculty, staff and parents in support of student success.
- Provide web based self-assessments and self-help educational materials for online use.
- Conduct outreach psycho-educational and substance abuse prevention programs to include workshops and presentations to the distributed campuses in Northern Virginia and the Winchester areas.
- Conduct evaluations of counseling services to determine level of effectiveness in meeting student needs.
- Collaborate with various campus community stakeholders to facilitate student success.
- Provide referrals for students to treatment providers in the community.
- Remain current on clinical service delivery issues within the collegiate mental health field.
- Engage in professional activities at the local and regional levels.
- Master’s degree in a counseling-related field from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Must be licensed, or license-eligible as a professional counselor in the state of Virginia within one year of hire.
- Two years counseling experience required, preference given to candidates with 3 years’ experience in a college/university counseling center setting.
- Must possess well-developed clinical assessment skills and high standards of ethical behavior.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with co-workers and with other departments within the university.
- Strong interpersonal skills and technological capabilities including knowledge of electronic record-keeping.
- Knowledge of developmental issues of college students and demonstrated knowledge of and sensitivity to multicultural issues required.
Complete application packets will include a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references. Only complete applications will be considered. The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until a qualified candidate is selected.
*Note: A pre-employment background check and drug screen will be required as a condition of employment. If the job requires driving for University business, a satisfactory driving record will also be required.
Click HERE to apply for this position. Then click one of the “Resume/CV” button choices in the “Apply” box at the bottom of the posting to input your information. If this is the first time you will have applied to a Shenandoah University position using this process, please choose the “New” option. Be prepared to upload the previously referenced documents as you go through this process. The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until a qualified candidate is selected.
Shenandoah University prohibits discrimination against and harassment of any employee or any applicant for employment because of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal or state law.
To apply for this job please visit shenandoahuniversity-openhire.silkroad.com.