Student Advisor, KAUST - (2927)
The KAUST Gifted Student Program (KGSP) is a prestigious scholarship program sponsored by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) for STEM students from Saudi Arabia pursuing undergraduate degrees at top institutions in the United States. Within KGSP, there are two advising tracks: undergraduate degree-seeking students; and pre-college Foundation Year students. This position will support the KGSP undergraduates.
The Student Advisor, Undergraduate advises and monitors a caseload of undergraduate students pursuing STEM degrees at top institutions across the United States. During the undergraduate program, the Student Advisor provides degree planning and academic success skills support, coordinating with university resources and program staff as necessary. The Student Advisor communicates frequently with each participant, monitoring their program compliance, academic or professional progress, and skills development along with providing 24 hour emergency response support. During the enrichment cycle, the Student Advisor, Undergraduate, assists in the matching of students to desirable professional research or internship opportunities, provides timely feedback on application materials, and coordinates communication on behalf of the program related to opportunity selection and approval. The Student Advisor, Undergraduate, serves as a primary point of contact for university staff including Academic Advising, Student Support Centers, Career Centers, International Student Offices, and Counseling Centers.
- Serves as main point of contact for a caseload of participants and their host institutions.
- Develops an individual development plan for each participant, working with them on action plans related to utilization of academic success resources, personal skills development, and pursuit of professional opportunities and/or identification of a suitable university application submission plan
- Monitors, tracks, and reports on participant academic or professional progress, conduct, well-being, and program compliance.
- Provides primary input on student progress to sponsor on contractual weekly, monthly, annual, and ad-hoc reporting timelines.
- Oversees the submission and review of student status change requests, including change of major, leave of absence, and course withdrawals.
- Conducts institutional outreach to university partners on behalf of IIE and KGSP.
- Provides 24 hour emergency support, connecting participants to local resources and coordinating follow-up as necessary.
- Maintains participant data in Client Relationship Management (CRM), following established processes.
- Assists in the planning and implementation of regional and global events, including orientations.
- Coordinates special advising and cross-functional projects as assigned by Advising Team Lead.
Education and Work Experience:
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in order to apply a working knowledge of the theories and principles in a specialized field or work discipline.
- Requires at least five years of related work experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong understanding of international participants and ability to manage cultural and counseling issues • Broad knowledge of assessment, training, and advising tools.
- Project management, time management, and administrative skills.
- Strong interest and ability to work effectively in a team environment; Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff and clients, ability to exercise discretion on confidential matters.
- Prior knowledge of international student advising and/or STEM student advising preferred.
Work Conditions & Physical Demands:
Essential functions are performed in a general office setting with low noise. Job demands may require long periods of sitting; telephone work and/or computer work, as well as interactions with other team members and external stakeholders. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. IIE is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.