Director, Provost Summer Mentorship Program
Job location: Hamilton Village-230
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-07-30
University OverviewThe University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.Posted Job TitleDirector, Provost Summer Mentorship ProgramJob Profile TitleManager CJob Description SummaryThe Provost's Summer Mentorship Program (SMP) Director is responsible for providing leadership in developing a comprehensive program of support that engages 50-70 students in grades 10-12 in the Philadelphia School District in a rigorous, innovative college preparatory program. The mission is to help students recognize and develop their potential to excel and encourage them to pursue postsecondary degrees. The Director oversees program services that include supervising the leadership team at each of the five participating schools; development of college preparatory curricula; provide counseling and advising; establish seminars and various workshops that will supply students with the essential knowledge and skills necessary to gain admission into a postsecondary institution.
- Provide leadership in the planning,implementation,assessment, and evaluation of each SMP program component.
- Work collaboratively with university faculty and administrators to identify creative approaches to preparing students for college entry.
- Recruit, hire,train, supervise and effectively mananges the performance of full and part-time staff and practicum facilitators.
- Prepare and monitor, with the assistance of the department business manger, the program budget.
- Prepare annual reports and other related program documentation required by the University or other sources as requested.
- Foster relationships with secondary school personnel and other community partners to establish procedures for recruitment and academic progress and resource sharing.
- Cultivate strong working relationships with appropriate higher education administrors to ensure the smooth transition to college for Summer Mentorship Program students, and to monitor participants' progress through college.
- Represent programs at local and regional meetings, workshops and conferences, as needed.
- Investigate additional sources of funding to supplement program(s) activities and/or provide scholarship support to SMP students.
- A minimum of 3-5 years experience, preferably in a university setting.
- Baccalaureate Degree required.
- Ability to organize and carry out projects within a complex organization.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to design, conduct, analyze, and present research.
- Must possess initiative and have strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Experience with University financial procedures a plus.
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.