Posting DetailsJob Posting Information Vacancy TypeSHRAIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoTime Limited?NoTime-Limited Appointment LengthTitleFood Services ManagerBand LevelAdvancedWorking TitleExecutive ChefSalary Range$31,200 - $96,662Anticipated Hiring Range$59,000 - $66,000Salary Grade Equivalency74Position Number00102570Work ScheduleSchedule based on business needs; may include weekends, evenings, and early mornings.Does the regular and recurring schedule of this position result in the employee working more than ½ of their hours between 4 pm and 8 am? (Meal periods do not count).YesFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.0Department471501 - Dining and Catering OperationsDepartmentDining and Catering OperationsJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
Campus Enterprises is NC State University’s division of retail and hospitality organizations—NC State Dining, NC State Stores, Trademark Licensing, Lonnie Poole Golf Course, NC State Student Centers (Witherspoon and Talley), and the Wolfpack One Card Services. Each unit shares a common goal: deliver quality and efficient services with dedicated financial support for student activity and scholarships.
NC State Dining provides campus wide food services to students, staff, and faculty, and the public on the NC State University campus. NC State Dining operates four dining halls, two food courts, a sports themed restaurant, two athletics facility dining halls, seven convenience stores, campus concessions, a nutritional counseling service and a catering department.Essential Job Duties
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as Executive Chef for Fountain Dining Hall. The Executive Chef will provide leadership and direction for menus that are healthy, provide variety, drive satisfaction, achieve plate cost, achieve labor number goals and achieve other goals set by NC State Dining leadership. This is an administrative chef position and has responsibilities and accountability that demand extensive leadership skills.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Oversight of menu development, procurement, scheduling culinary labor, forecasting of product needs, and food safety.
• Monitor the performance of staff, develop procedures and ensure compliance with the department standards, and rectify deficiencies with respective personnel.
• Coordinate with Front of House Management to see all stations are set up for best serving arrangement and coordinates flow of food from final production to line service as planned by CBORD production system.
• Oversee Back of the House Operations. Assigns, supervises, and directs the efforts of Sous Chefs, Cooks and other Temporary and Student Cook positions, Prep Personnel and other BOH Personnel regarding all food production for the dining hall and ensure that high standards of service and quality of food are maintained.
• Hire, develop and train temporary and student staff that will drive the customer experience.
• May be required to travel to various locations for delivery and pick-up of items using a state vehicle.
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Experience/Education
Bachelor’s Degree in Dietetics, Home Economics, Hospitality Management or related discipline and one year of food management experience; or Associate’s degree in a related discipline and three years of food management experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions. Some positions may require registration by the Commission on Dietetic Registration.Departmental Required Skills
• Culinary management experience.
• Knowledge of menu planning, budgeting, and production planning.
• Ability to assign, train, and coach subordinates on the correct standards, recipes, and procedures to prepare and serve food.
• Possess a strong understanding of hospitality.
• Strong organizational, time management, and critical thinking skills.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office and ability to learn new software.
• Flexibility in work schedule in order to meet business needs.
• Must be able to routinely lift 30 pounds, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
• Requires bending, twisting, pulling and pushing. Because of the nature of a food service operations and working in a kitchen, you must be able to work in extremely hot and cold conditions.
• A minimum of 5-7 years of culinary management experience preferably in a college food service environment.
• Culinary degree or certification or comparable certification from an appropriately accredited institutions.
• Experience in a dining establishment in leadership role in the back of the house.
• Previous experience as an Executive chef.
• Serv Safe Certificate or ability to obtain with 90 days of employment.
• A valid North Carolina driver’s license or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of start date is required.
• Licenses and certifications must be maintained as a condition of employment.
Previous applicants do NOT need to reapply for this position.Job Open Date06/12/2019Must Be Open Until---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.)08/02/2019Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date08/12/2019Alternate Option
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please select the response below that best describes your experience/education for the Food Services Manager position.
- Bachelor's in dietetics, home economics, hospitality management or related field and one year of food management experience
- Master's, Doctorate in dietetics, home economics, hospitality management or related field
- Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate in an unrelated field and five years of food management experience
- Associate's in home economics, hospitality management or related field and three years of food management experience
- Combination of post-high school education and 5 years of food management experience. (ex: 1 year towards a related degree and 4 years of related experience)
- Did not complete high school but have a combination of high school education and food management experience to equal 9 years. (ex. 3 years of high school and 6 years experience)
- None of the above
- * Do you have a valid NC Driver's license or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of your start date?
- * Do you have a culinary degree or culinary training?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have experience CBord Food Production System?
- * Please describe your past experience(s) or your interest in food preparation/culinary arts.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter