BUSINESS MANAGER III
Posting DetailsPosting Details Posting NumberS03650PWorking TitleBUSINESS MANAGER IIIDepartmentFranklin College Physics & Astronomy DeptAbout the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/Department
The Franklin College of Arts and Sciences is the oldest, largest and most academically diverse college at the University of Georgia. In many ways, it is at the heart of UGA, the nation’s first state-chartered institution of higher education. Three of the five most popular undergraduate majors are among the nearly 40 departments and institutes that make up Franklin College. Offering 78 undergraduate majors, 35 master’s degree programs and 31 doctoral degree programs, Franklin College produces nearly 50% of the institution’s total student credit hours.
The Department of Physics and Astronomy is comprised of 27 faculty, an undergraduate student population of 113 students and a graduation student population of 51 students. This position works in managing and controlling accounting, budgeting, auditing, and other financial or related functions to ensure the financial integrity of the Physics and Astronomy department.College/Unit/Department websitehttps://www.physast.uga.edu/Posting TypeExternalRetirement PlanTRS or ORPEmployment TypeEmployeeBenefits EligibilityBenefits EligibleFull/Part timeFull TimeWork ScheduleAdditional Schedule Information
Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pmAdvertised SalaryCommensurate with ExperiencePosting Date07/30/2019Open until filledYesClosing DateProposed Starting Date08/26/2019Special Instructions to ApplicantsLocation of VacancyAthens Area EEO Policy Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.Position Information Classification TitleFiscal Affairs ManagerPay GradeFLSAExemptJob FamilyBusiness And FinanceFTE1.00Minimum Qualifications
Requires at least a baccalaureate degree in the field. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred QualificationsPosition Summary
The business manager position has a high level of responsibility, and aids the department head in day-to-day operations of the Physics and Astronomy Department. This position serves as liaison between the department head and other University officials relating to fiscal affairs or business operating procedures. Overall duties include: management of professional, fiscal and administrative work in planning, organizing, leading and controlling the fiscal, instructional, HR and logistical activities of the unit; project financial needs and oversee instructional budget, manage approved budget; prepare reports and provide information to Department Head or to College; supervise office staff, hire personnel and process paperwork for new employees; serve as payroll representative for department; serve as departmental staff liaison for other units on campus; provide assistance to faculty and staff regarding policies and procedures.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
Demonstrated ability to coordinate and manage multiple competing projects in an organized, efficient manner by prioritizing tasks to meet deadlines.
• Knowledge of budgetary theory, principles and practices; knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to departmental budget and accounting practices
• Strong attention to detail
• Ability to act independently and exercise sound judgment with sensitivity to identify matters with a higher-level management consultation.
• Ability to interpret policies and procedures and to propose solutions to problems.
• Substantially developed interpersonal and teamwork skills to successfully work with diverse groups in an academic environment
• Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to interact with a variety of personalities at all levels, exercising tact, confidentiality, sound judgment, diplomacy, and flexibility to promote positive working relationships and job effectiveness.
• Software experience in:
o MS Office Suite
Typical office duties.Is driving a responsibility of this position?Does this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?YesDoes this position require a P-Card? NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? NoDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?NoDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications)YesCredit and P-Card policy
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
Financial Management, 50%
• Review, forecast and manage all budgetary processes including developing annual budgets for both state, income, contract-grant accounts and any special projects to adhere to UGA policy and fiscal management. Interacts with accounting staff on all aspects of the operation helping and directing as needed.
• To review and manage all foundation accounts, endowed and spendable to reconcile to all corresponding UGA accounts.
• Make revisions as needed, process personal services journal vouchers, and coordinate the approval process for annual and end-of-project salary certifications.
• Serve as department payroll representative; process and approve all payroll for faculty, staff, students and temporary employees.
• Reconcile all monthly, academic, and bi-weekly payroll reports for accuracy.
• Prepare summer school budget and process all summer school payroll.
• Manage the instructional budget for department, which involves working closely with the Associate Head, Graduate Coordinator and the College.
• Maintain accurate records on fund allocations and buyout money from grants.
• Compile budget information, maintain spreadsheets, and request replacement teaching funds and buyout approvals from the College.
• Work with confidential information such as personnel matters, salary information, and student records.
Account Reconciliation, 15%
• Prepares monthly status reports for all departmental funds including state, income restricted and foundation, (non-research funds).
• Reconciles expenses to ensure they are accurately charged to appropriate department IDs.
• Ensures that purchases are made in accordance with cost accounting standards and UGA/USG policies.
• Ensure proper year-end close out on all state-funded accounts.
Faculty Affairs and Recruitment, 10%
• Utilize UGAJobs to post vacant positions, reclassify existing positions or create new positions for faculty.
• Coordinate all new hire and termination paperwork for faculty.
• Compile data in preparation of faculty evaluations, post-tenure reviews, reappointments, promotion and tenure dossiers, program review materials, and other projects as directed by the department head.
Departmental Human Resources Coordinator, 10%
• Create and revise job descriptions, train and evaluate staff performance, may make recommendations on pay increases to the department head.
• Coordinate workflow among staff, assign or redistribute work as necessary.
• Utilize UGAJobs to post vacant staff positions, reclassify existing positions or create new positions as needed.
• Coordinate all new hire and termination paperwork for staff and temporary hires.
• Assure that all employees have completed orientation, ethics training, and/or other training.
• Create secure, confidential personnel files, complete EEO forms, Workers’ Comp forms, FMLA forms, Shared Leave forms, separation notices and exit interview forms.
• Assist faculty and staff with obtaining proper work authorizations (visas); interface with Office of Global Engagement
• Manage annual and sick leave for faculty and staff and reconcile bi-weekly/monthly.
Daily Operations Management, 10%
• Manage the daily operations of the department.
• Supervise, recruit, interview and recommend hiring of office staff.
• Coordinate coverage for essential areas of the department.
• Communicate approved policies and procedures to faculty, graduate students, and staff; provide advice as necessary.
• Compose/forward messages daily regarding policies, procedures, or other departmental business in consultation with the department head.
• Serve as the assistant to the department head for financial and personnel matters.
• Serves as the liaison between campus units and the department
• Serve as backup as necessary when staff are absent or unavailable.
• Perform related work by department head or associate head.
General Departmental Support, 5%
• As a member of the staff in the department, this position supports the faculty. This position either provides the requested customer service or refers it to the appropriate staff member to respond. In cases where a service is requested that falls outside of the normal duties, this position will either provide the service or consult with the department head as to possible alternative resources
• Coordinate and provide leadership on special projects assigned by the department head.
• Perform tasks and assignments as instructed by the departmental leadership
• Collegiality, as well as professional and ethical conduct, is expected of all employees when engaging with colleagues, faculty members, students, administrators, and members of the public.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter