Posting DetailsPosting Details Posting NumberS03658PWorking TitleMAINTENANCE WORKERDepartmentFMD South Campus Zone ShopAbout the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/Department
The UGA Facilities Management Division is the largest of 7 divisions reporting to the Vice President for Finance and Administration. The exceptional staff of over 800 personnel within the Facilities Management Division manage, operate and maintain campus landscapes, buildings and infrastructure to promote the long-term sustainability of the University of Georgia.College/Unit/Department websitefmd.uga.eduPosting TypeExternalRetirement PlanTRSEmployment TypeEmployeeBenefits EligibilityBenefits EligibleFull/Part timeFull TimeWork ScheduleAdditional Schedule Information
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday. Some night and/or weekend work may be required to meet departmental goals, deadlines, and/or emergencies.Advertised Salary$26,198Posting Date07/30/2019Open until filledNoClosing Date08/26/2019Proposed Starting Date09/09/2019Special Instructions to ApplicantsLocation of VacancyAthens Area EEO Policy Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.Position Information Classification TitleService/Maintenance WorkerPay GradeFLSAJob FamilyTradesFTE1.00Minimum Qualifications
Requires are least a high school diploma or equivalent. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred QualificationsPosition Summary
Manual labor in performing maintenance on building mechanical systems and components. Inspects mechanical systems (fans, fan motors, pumps, and other mechanical units) noting need for repair. Performs minor maintenance such as cleaning, lubricating, adjusting and/or replacing belts. Changes, washes, and cut filters for HVAC Systems; checks for bad bearings; cleans coils in air conditioning units, cleans mixing boxes, and unstops condensation pan drains.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
- Service-oriented temperament.
- Complete work requests, fill out work order forms, and have a good working relationship with others.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards of: tools and equipment associated with maintenance activities and mechanical and electrical building equipment.
- Use standard hand tools and equipment as common to the mechanical trades.
- Lift 75 lbs.
- Stand, stoop, bend, squat, crawl, work with hands over head, kneel, and climb stairs frequently throughout shift.
- Work from a standard and extended ladder and/or scaffolding.
- Work under adverse weather conditions (hot, cold, rainy, etc.).
- Work in confined spaces.
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
Changes, washes and cuts filters for air conditioners.
Checks for bad bearings on equipment.
Performs preventive maintenance activities such as cleaning, lubricating, adjusting, and/or replacing belts on equipment within buildings.Percentage of time20 Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
Performs maintenance inspections of building mechanical equipmentPercentage of time20 Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
Assist plumbers, HVAC mechanics, electricians, carpenters, etc., in the performance of high level maintenance activityPercentage of time15 Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
Troubleshoots building maintenance deficienciesPercentage of time10 Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
Performs other related work as required in support of general maintenance activities.Percentage of time5Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you willing to work outside under adverse weather conditions (rain, hot and cold weather)?
- * Are you able to work in confined spaces?
- * Do you have at least two years' experience in preventive maintenance or equivalent training? Briefly describe your experience, including years of experience and applicable training.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a High School Diploma or GED Completion Certificate?
- No Response
- Yes, I have a High School Diploma or GED Certificate.
- No, I do not have a High School Diploma or GED Certificate.
- * Do you possess a valid driver's license?
- No Response
- * Are you willing to lift 75 lbs frequently throughout the day as well as stand, stoop, bend, lift squat, and work with hands above the head?
- No Response
- Cover Letter