Financial Aid Representative
Application Deadline: Friday, August 30, 2019
Salary & Benefits: Starting salary is $32,230.58 per the Santa Fe College Salary Schedule. Promotional placement is not limited to posted salary range maximum. Compensation package is comprised of many college paid benefits including health and life insurance, retirement, leave time, and tuition waivers for Santa Fe College and the University of Florida.
Classification: Full-time, Career Service, Pay Grade C3, Non-Exempt.
Location: Northwest Campus, 3000 NW 83rd Street, Building R, Room 122, Gainesville, FL 32606.
OVERVIEW: Santa Fe College (SF) was recently recognized as the top-rated community college in the United States. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live. SF enrolls over 16,000 students each semester.
Financial Aid at Santa Fe College assists students and their families by providing financial assistance to help cover educational expenses and related costs. Financial Aid receives, processes and disburses various types of financial aid, including grants, loans and scholarships based on federal, state and college policy.
The Financial Aid Representative is generally the first point of contact providing advice to students and parents regarding the financial aid process and providing information on available programs, procedures, and eligibility. Therefore, the Financial Aid Representative must have a knowledge of college programs and resources and a thorough understanding of all applicable Financial Aid institutional, state and federal guidelines and regulations. This position also troubleshoots and provides some preliminary evaluation and verification of various requests and documentation that is forwarded to other Financial Aid department members for processing.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Provide advice and counsel about available financial aid opportunities, eligibility requirements, the application process and college resources to students and parents in-person, over the phone and via email.
- Carefully adhere to all institutional, state and federal guideline and regulations, including FERPA and participate in professional development on a continual basis to stay compliant.
- Follow proper office procedures and processes to address student inquiries while thoroughly documenting, both electronically and manually, details for each file.
- Assess unusual circumstances, review and analyze incomplete or conflicting data to appropriately communicate information to students and families related to financial aid.
- Verify that information provided on various financial aid forms and legal documents is accurate, current and consistent with applicable supporting documentation.
- Create and supply forms as needed for various financial aid purposes.
- Receive, log and file documents, which may include appeals packages, student records, applications, eligibility, marital status, and tax information.
- Track and report daily activity of office statistics both electronically and manually.
- Utilize complex computer programs for reporting, tracking, monitoring and to process, record, retrieve and verify statistical data.
- Conduct outreach events to promote Santa Fe College by marketing financial aid services to the community.
- Communicate tactfully, while exercising extreme diplomacy, empathy and compassion when dealing with sensitive information, challenging situations, difficult and sometime disgruntled individuals.
- Use appropriate strategies to diffuse tense situations and recognize when to make referrals to avoid escalation.
- May need to work a flexible schedule, including extended hours during peak service periods and special events.
- Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Coordinator, Financial Aid Client Services
- High school diploma or equivalent with three (3) years of related work experience, as well as working in a customer service based environment.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: A criminal background check will be conducted.
PREFERRED: An Associate’s degree in a relevant discipline, prior experience and understanding of financial aid, accounting, tax knowledge and higher education. Experience and/or prior working knowledge of Information for Financial Aid Professionals (IFAP).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
- Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
- Ability to work successfully in a multi-cultural environment.
- Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive, able to positively and proactively assimilate change in rapid growth environment.
- Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
- Systems & Software - proficient level of knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or relevant position software programs.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All applicants must complete the SF Employment Application, submit a letter of intent and an up-to-date resume through the job portal to be considered for this position.