Senior Network Engineer
Job location: Worcester
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-07-30
JOB TITLESenior Network EngineerLOCATIONWorcesterDEPARTMENT NAMENetwork and SecurityDIVISION NAMEWorcester Polytechnic Institute - WPIJOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARYUnder the direction of the Manager of Network Operations, the Senior provide support to the satisfactory operation of the WPI network infrastructure, including LAN and WAN, and facilitate its use by members of the WPI community.JOB DESCRIPTION
- Maintain the data network system including switches, routers, and wireless access points.
- Maintain and document data wiring and fiber infrastructure.
- Update and maintain network databases, documentation, inventory, monitoring applications, and IP address management (IPAM).
- Document the data network including topology, connections, and appropriate billing information.
- Collaborate with Service Desk and other departments in the escalation and resolution of data network error conditions.
- Assist the Network Architect in planning, design and execution of network and related projects
- Provide end-user support for communications and connectivity issues.
- Oversee and resolve standard requests including adds/moves/changes and wireless connectivity.
- Assist physical plant renovations as they relate to the voice, data, and video CATV infrastructure.
- Ensure the network is capable of 24/7 connectivity for critical uses
- Oversee and coordinate the student network assistants.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or other related degree, or a minimum of five years relevant experience.
- Experience with network hardware, cabling, and network management software including experience in network troubleshooting.
- Able to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently
- A thorough knowledge of Ethernet, wireless Ethernet, and TCP/IP networking.
- Understanding of DNS, DHCP, and RADIUS protocols.
- Experience or certification with Juniper Networks routing and switching preferable.
- Experience with Aruba Networks wireless portfolio and Clearpass preferable.
- Experience with Efficient IP or other IPAM/DDI systems preferred.
- A working understanding of code and script (PHP, Python, Perl or similar).
- Ability to communicate clearly with all WPI community members and affiliates.
- Palo Alto firewalls experience is preferred.
- Experience with core routing protocols that include MPLS, BGP, and OSPF.