English Adjunct Instructor
English Adjunct Instructor
Posting Number: F00607
Location: Diablo Valley College
Salary: $59.70 - $84.36/hourly
Description of Position:
Diablo Valley College is seeking adjunct English instructors to provide course instruction in accordance with course outlines at the DVC Pleasant Hill campus, as well as meet and maintain related duties and responsibilities (e.g., per contract, DVC policy, etc.). The DVC English department is primarily looking for instructors to teach first-year composition.
Contact Alan Haslam, English Department Chair, via email at [email protected]
Position Status: Temporary
EEO Job Category: Faculty & Other Instructional Staff
Employee Group: Part-Time Faculty
Duties and Responsibilities:
Adjunct faculty duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. providing instruction in accordance with established curriculum, course outlines and class schedules.
2. creating and maintaining an environment which emphasizes learning, encourages free discussion of ideas and critical thinking.
3. evaluating progress of students concerning educational matters and grades student work;
4. meeting with students outside of class;
5. maintaining appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics;
6. maintaining current knowledge in the subject-matter areas;
7. fulfilling professional responsibilities of a part-time/temporary faculty member;
8. maintaining accurate academic records;
9. performing other related duties as assigned.
Master’s degree in English, literature, comparative literature, or composition OR
Bachelor’s in any of the above AND Master’s in linguistics, TESL, speech, education with a specialization in reading, creative writing, or journalism OR
(Please note that if the title of your post-graduate degree — including an MFA — does not match exactly the language above, you will need to apply for an equivalency. (The equivalency form can be found in the online application packet).
1. Demonstrated commitment to student learning and to the success of all students in the open-access learning environment of a community college.
2. Demonstrated sensitivity to issues of diversity, and ability to motivate and teach community college students of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds, sexual orientations, genders, cultures, and learning styles, as well as students with disabilities or varied levels of academic preparation.
3. Training and/or experience in teaching composition and reading to students with differing abilities, levels of preparation, and cultural experiences.
4. Demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusivity, and increasing the success of historically under-represented or at-risk student groups (especially student groups for whom there exists an achievement gap at DVC, such as African-American students, Latinx students, former foster youth, etc.);
5. Strong interpersonal skills, commitment to collaboration, and a flexible approach to working in the evolving community college landscape;
6. Demonstrated commitment to self-reflection and adaptation both in the classroom and as a member of the department and college community.
Job Open Date: 06/19/2019
Job Close Date: 9/15/2019
Open Until Filled: No
# of Months: Academic semester
To apply, visit: https://www.4cdcareers.net/postings/6185
The Contra Costa Community College District does not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, or sexual orientation. This prohibition against unlawful discrimination extends to any person who is perceived to have any of the above characteristics or who is associated with someone who has, or who is perceived to have, any of those characteristics.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency