Junior Database Administrator
The Junior Database Administrator (DBA) typically performs the duties of a Production DBA, a Weblogic Administrator, and an Application DBA. This position is responsible for database and application server installations and upgrades. This position installs and maintains the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Data Warehouse, and other administrative applications. The Junior DBA will perform database and application server monitoring, and database backup and recovery. This position reports to the Manager for Database Administration and participates in team projects related to database administration.
Dedicated to quality, innovation, engagement, integrity and inclusion, Information Technology/Enterprise Application Services (IT/EAS) maintains the highest standards in providing a wide range of software solutions to units throughout the University. IT/EAS maintains software systems that support the Universitys core business as well as develops custom applications in partnership with DU departments to enhance services to our community. Our services range from consultation to implementation to continuous support of software solutions. Services include:
- Software implementation, support, and development
- Secure access to institutional information
- Database development and administration
- Data interfaces
- Document Management
- Workflow solutions
- Business Process analysis and improvements
- Consultation with DU departments on software development or purchase
- Data Warehouse administration, reporting and data mining
- Business Intelligence, Advanced Analytics, and Dashboards
IT/EAS ensures the current and future software applications are efficient and effective, maintains an appropriate balance between leading-edge activities and core business processes, and provides approprate information access and data security.
IT/EAS is responsible for all aspects of the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system, Database Management, Data Warehouse administration, Information Analytics (BI), Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems, Learning Management System (LMS), Document Management and Workflow.
- Perform the following duties under supervision:
- Create and maintain Oracle and SQL Server databases required for development, testing, and production usage. Install, configure, and administer Oracle Weblogic Server and other application servers. Perform ERP, Data Warehouse, and other Administrative software installs, upgrades, and patches
- Execute backup and recovery strategies for databases and applications
- Monitor databases and applications for availability. Provide 24/7 support for critical situations on an on-call basis
- Follow enterprise standards to apply requested and approved modifications to database structures, data, and applications
- Manage complete project lifecycle. Effectively communicate project status with direct supervisor and project owner
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Understanding of relational database theory, design, and architecture. Oracle and/or SQL Server preferred
- Knowledge of SQL and PL/SQL
- Basic understanding of routine maintenance, backup and recovery of a database
- General understanding of distributed computing architectures, e.g. Client/Server, Internet/Intranet, Enterprise
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business correspondence, policies, and technical procedures. Ability to communicate effectively to various situations
- Ability to utilize general mathematical concepts. Ability to apply concepts and analyze relevant data
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations where only limited standardization and documentation exists.
- Ability to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, and diagram form.
- Ability to prioritize and organize high volume of work.
- Attention to detail is critical
- Work effectively in team environment
- Strong organizational skills
- Committed to providing excellent customer service
- Strong and innovative problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Bachelors Degree
- Entry level to 2 years experience in database administration (preferably Oracle and/or SQL Server) or coursework specific to database administration.
- Degree in computer science, computer information systems, or other related field.
1. Standard office environment.
2. Unexpected interruptions occur often and stress level is moderate to high.
3. Noise level is quiet to moderate.
1. Ability to sit in front of a computer for an extended period of time.
2. Occasionally required to move about the office/campus with the capability of transporting objects up to 20 lbs.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Evenings and weekends as required.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on August 13, 2019.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected candidate balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.