Accounts Payable Specialist
Job Title: Accounts Payable Specialist
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 25075
Job Code: 1741 Accounting Technician II
Department: Accounts Payable
CompensationClassification: Accounting Technician II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,600/month - $3,700/month
Salary Range: $3,010/month - $5,449/month
FLSA Status: Non - Exempt
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please visit sjsu.edu/up.
About the PositionThe Accounts Payable Specialist is responsible for processing the payment of invoices and reimbursements and has the training and experience to independently perform much of the skilled work required in the Accounts Payable department. Incumbent performs diverse duties involving a wide range of procedures using initiative and judgment in analyzing information and determining a course of action within the specifications of standard practice and established guidelines of SJSU, CSU, State and/or Federal procurement policies and travel regulations. The Accounts Payable Specialist acts as liaison between Accounts Payable, Purchasing, Receiving and Requisitioning departments. Incumbent communicates established policies and procedures to faculty, staff, and the general public.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Audit/analyze, prepare and approve to pay, PO and Direct Payment invoices, Employee/Student Reimbursements, Petty Cash, Travel and other Reimbursements, and International Travel Advance requests, ensuring compliance with SJSU, CSU, State and Federal policies and guidelines, as applicable.
- Access paperless support documents and invoices for payment and reimbursement requests via the OnBase imaging and workflow system.
- Contact requestors (i.e. vendors, campus departments/individuals, travelers) for missing or additional support documentation or information.
- Create PO invoice and other voucher types utilizing the Accounts Payable module of the Common Financial System (CFS) - Oracle (PeopleSoft) finance system.
- Create PO invoice and other voucher types utilizing the Accounts Payable module of the OnBase imaging system.
- Manage/review/update CFS vouchers created via the SJSU Financial Transaction Services (FTS).
- Review data-entry and other system-generated reports (i.e. matching) for accuracy and completeness of online and quick invoice vouchers; make corrections and address receiving or other match exceptions.
- Reconcile vendor statements and resolve issues related to outstanding invoice notices. Follow-up and communicate with vendors and campus departments as needed.
Required Qualifications- Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities
- Equivalent to three years of progressively responsible financial record-keeping experience which has provided the above knowledge and abilities
Preferred Qualifications- Bachelor's Degree
- Experience with Oracle (PeopleSoft) Finance System and experience working in an institute of higher education or governmental organization.
- Experience with tax compliance issues such as California Sales and Use Tax, California Nonresident Withholding, and Federal reporting of Miscellaneous Income.
- Experience with San Jose State University, the California State University System, and/or the State of California policies and procedures related to procurement and travel processes.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities- Thorough knowledge of Accounts Payable functions, procurement processes, and travel and other reimbursement requests.
- Knowledge of, or the demonstrated ability to learn, the policies and procedures of SJSU, the CSU system, and the State of California, as they pertain to procurement processes and travel.
- Thorough knowledge of Oracle (PeopleSoft) Finance System, working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, and Google Email (or similar email system).
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills.
- Ability to analyze, to interpret, and to implement a variety of written rules, regulations, and guidelines.
- Ability to review financial documents for accuracy, completeness, validity, and adherence to standards.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities in a timely manner; to plan, to organize, and to perform day-to-day work independently under general supervision.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Thorough knowledge of financial record-keeping methods, procedures and practices; arithmetic and general office procedures.
- General knowledge of governmental financial record-keeping methods.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Application ProceduresComplete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
-Letter of Interest
-List of References
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: July 29, 2019 through August 15, 2019. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Additional InformationSatisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment StatementSan José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
Contact InformationUniversity Personnel
Transformation 2030Engage and Educate: Be a university of first choice where we bring together exceptional people - students, faculty and staff members, and our community - to do extraordinary things with their lives as learners, creators and champions.
Excel and Lead: Be a leading academic institution where faculty and staff members and alumni are regional, national and global leaders in their fields.
Grow and Thrive: Be an inclusive, welcoming and well-balanced community and institution that ensures long-term financial sustainability and effectiveness and also attracts, retains and sustains faculty and staff members and students.
Connect and Contribute: Be an engaged and dynamic urban university with strong connections locally and globally.
Rebuild and Renew: Be a flourishing, modern campus with state-of-the-art infrastructure, campus spaces and technology to support learning, research and community.