Laboratory Technician II
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2019-07-29
The Marie lab in the Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases and International Health, at the University of Virginia School of Medicine, seeks a part-time Lab Technician II to manage the day-to-day operations of the lab under Dr. Chelsea Marie's supervision. The successful lab and research technician should have prior experience working in the lab and be comfortable with specimen collection, setting up and performing experiments and preparing culture media. The candidate should have the ability to provide increasingly complex technical support for projects and engage in increasingly complex scientific experiments, handle sophisticated administrative and logistical tasks, and operate under supervision with a degree of independence when following set protocols and procedures. Must be fluent in verbal and written communication and be culturally competent to work with individuals of varying backgrounds.
The successful candidate will have an Associate's degree and at least 2 years of lab experience which may include student experience; or Bachelor's degree in related science, with 1 year of lab experience. A high school diploma or equivalent, with 4 years of relevant lab experience, can be considered in lieu of a degree.
This is a part-time, benefited position, 30 hours per week. The anticipated salary is $16.00 per hour.
This position is restricted and contingent upon the continuation of funding.
EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: please apply through Workday at the following URL, https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs , and search for requisition # R0008797. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address).
INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for requisition # R0008797. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address).
Lab and Research Technician 2 employees provide increasingly complex technical support for projects and may engage in increasingly complex scientific experiments. May handle more sophisticated administrative and logistical tasks. Lab and Research Technician 2 employees operate under supervision with a degree of independence when following set protocols and procedures. Responsibilities will include:
- Coordinate and participate in a variety of routine technical duties by providing assistance to clinical and research staff in sample collection, storage, testing and experiments.
- Record and maintain accurate information and logs of experimental data.
- Record and maintain accurate information on clinical specimens (collection, inventory, analysis)
- Provide logistic support for clinical research studies (coordinate schedules with study project managers, study staff, clinical research coordinator, handle information and specimen intake, and record and track results)
- Set up and perform experiments of a repetitive nature without supervision
- Prepare culture media, chemicals, reagents, and solutions as instructed.
- Prepare support materials for clinical research studies
- Complete CRFs for clinical specimen handling
- Compare and assist with analyses of data and write reports. Assist with literature reviews.
- Operate, adjust, and maintain specific scientific apparatuses and instruments.
- Order lab supplies and maintain inventory.
- Provide routine, technical, and administrative support to research projects.
- Provide logistical support for specimen analysis including shipping samples, coordinating with research cores and companies.
- Assist in evaluating research methods, procedures, and techniques, based on established objectives.
- Analyze data using specialized statistical computer software.
- Assist with training other staff members on procedures.
- Supervise students or volunteers as needed.
- Assist Principal Investigators and senior staff in developing new strategies and techniques for experimentation.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education: This position requires an Associate's degree and at least 2 years of lab experience which may include student experience; or Bachelor's degree in related science. A high school diploma or equivalent, with 4 years of relevant lab experience, can be considered in lieu of a degree.
Experience: Position requires a minimum of 1 year lab experience, which may include student experience. With an Associate’s degree, position requires at least 2 year of lab experience, which may include student experience.
Licensure: NoneThe University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.