Assistant, Library Operations
Assistant, Library Operations
Join our community and experience Emerson College!
The Library Operations Assistant supports the Access Services and Information Services departments by opening the library on weekdays, assisting patrons at a service desk and modelling appropriate delivery of services for student employees, providing reciprocal borrowing services, and performing periodical collection maintenance. In addition, this position monitors and performs basic troubleshooting for library copiers, microfilm, scanners, and printers and assists patrons on their use.
Report To: Associate Director for Research and Collections
Direct Staff Reports: 0
Student Workers this position supports: 1
Is this position ‘Essential' and be needed for emergencies or to work when the College is closed? YES
Essential Functions of the Role:
- Assist with service desk operations by opening the library on weekdays, by assisting patrons, and by providing support and direction for student workers in the absence of the Access Services Librarian and Assistant Access Services Manager.
- Provide basic reference and media collection service by answering directional questions, instructing patrons in the use of the catalog, and referring more complex questions appropriately. Record activity and information about questions asked at the service desk.
- Process interlibrary loan requests from other libraries using the Voyager integrated library system, OCLC WorldShare, and Commonwealth Catalog systems, maintaining all records for lends, preparing items for shipment and distribution, processing mailed items upon return, and correcting problems when they occur.
- Maintain the print periodicals collection and assist with other stack maintenance as needed. Train and oversee the activities of a student periodicals assistant. Fulfill Scan and Send requests for items from the general and basement storage collections, and report statistics on use.
- Monitor photocopiers, microfilm workstation, and public printers by maintaining and ordering supplies, correcting simple problems, and reporting more complex problems to service technician. Answer basic technology and computer equipment use questions and refer more complex questions appropriately. Gather and report statistics on these activities.
- Sort and route library mail and periodicals. Assist with other projects as necessary.
Work Environment and Demands of the position:
Physical Place and Existing Conditions
Usual Office Conditions
Intellectual and Mental Concentration for extended periods of time
Requires long periods of mental concentration
Requires constant coordination of Mental and Visual Attention
Requires ability to stand and/or sit for long periods of time:
Requires ability to lift and move objects that are
Under 20 lbs
Requires ability to move materials
Requires working in difficult physical positions and body contortions
Amount of time required to travel to do this job
Bachelor's Degree or current enrollment in a baccalaureate degree program.
Ability to operate a computer and familiarity with Windows, Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and web
Ability to handle stressful interactions with patrons.
One year of experience working with customers or academic community members.
Familiarity with Ex Libris Voyager circulation and call slip module or similar library management
Familiarity with interlibrary loan systems such as OCLC WorldShare and Commonwealth Catalog.
Knowledge of Library of Congress call number system.
Ability to perform basic troubleshooting for computers, printers, scanners, microfilm readers, and
Previous work experience in an academic library, especially at a service desk.
Grade of Position: A14N
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 36.25
Hiring Range: $22.68 - $23.71
To apply, please visit: https://emerson.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Emerson_College_Staff/job/Boston-Campus/Assistant--Library-Operations_JR000735
Emerson College is the nation’s only four-year institution dedicated exclusively to majors in communication and the arts in a liberal arts context. Its main campus is located in the center of the dynamic multicultural city of Boston, in close proximity to major publishing houses, arts institutions, and research centers. The college also has campuses in Los Angeles and the Netherlands. Emerson College enrolls over 4,300 graduate and undergraduate students from more than 70 countries and all 50 states.
Emerson College believes diversity enriches the educational experience by providing students with the opportunity to learn from individuals who may have different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Engagement with diversity in the curriculum, in our co-curricular offerings, and all other aspects of the College enhances the personal and intellectual growth of all members of our campus community. Emerson is committed to strengthening communities, including our workplace, by fostering the development of the intercultural competencies necessary for meaningful citizenship in an increasingly complex, pluralistic society. Emerson College does not discriminate on the basis of sex/gender in its educational programs or activities. Emerson has designated the Associate Vice President, Title IX, and Clery Coordinator to respond to inquiries regarding the College Sexual Misconduct Policy. The Title IX Coordinator may be reached at 8 Park Plaza, Transportation Bldg, Room 230 Boston, MA 02116; Telephone: 617-824-8999; email: [email protected]
Annual Clery Report
n accordance with the federal Clery and Campus SaVE Acts, Emerson College commits to providing all current and prospective students and employees with access to the annual campus security reports for each of our campuses. This report may be accessed from the Emerson College Police Department website.
Information on Emerson College staff grade range
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency