Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-07-26
The University of Virginia's Center for Diabetes Technology, (https://med.virginia.edu/diabetes-technology/), is seeking a Database Administrator II/III, (commensurate with experience), to assist in the design, build, maintenance, and administration of databases and other, similar cloud-based systems. We are seeking a professional to work closely with Cloud Development Engineers and Research Data Engineers to produce and maintain a database that provides robust access to Diabetes research data for our end users. We are seeking an individual looking for growth and challenge, who is passionate to help build the next generation of technology-based health interventions. The successful incumbent will perform both operational and project-based work, be a team player, be flexible to multi-task on multiple, overlapping requirements, and have a strong desire to utilize their skill set to provide effective solutions in support of health care research.
The Database Administrator will maintain existing reports and analyze/evaluate the requirements for new modified reports/databases. The successful incumbent will consult with faculty and management to define data management needs and structures and confer with users to gain an understanding of needed changes or modifications of existing structures to support clinical research data needs. A proven ability to create stored procedures and develop complex queries using various joins and sub-queries and to develop reports using complex expressions to calculate, group, filter, parameterize, and format the contents of a report. The design and document the general functional requirements and detailed technical specifications for a report/database ensuring data integrity. The DBA will also administer database and cloud system needs including security control, data-backup, performance tuning, and user access management. They will also assist with training end-users on the proper database and system use; as well as ensure that systems meet external and internal regulations and policies for data management specifically regarding security, auditability, and privacy.
Experience with the following will ensure success:
- Database modeling tools: Vertabelo, LucidChart, Visio, Qsee Lite, or other ERD modelers.
- Open source versioning control systems: Git or Percona.
- Data integrity checks using constraints during schema design stages.
- Storage management via bash scripts to ensure proper disk usage.
- Proficiency in: SQL, MySQL, bash scripting.
- DB server log management using ELK or other open-source tools
- SQL code testing using iometer or fio
- Setting up scripts to ensure backup and recovery from the cloud
- Knowledge of Mysql Metadata management
- Experience with NoSQL
- Database maintenance jobs scheduling using python or bash scripts
- Scripting different processes for SQL optimization and management in bash/python
- Document storage databases such as MongoDB
- Key-Value storage databases such as DynamoDB
- AWS (experience with using the following):
- Storage and Backup – Glacier and/or S3 Service, Amazon RDS, CloudWatch Service
- EC2 Service with Elastic Load Balancing
- Experience with secure data environment and the policies and procedures for maintaining a DB and/or systems compliantly; e.g. ideally HIPAA (but could include FERPA, FINRA, etc.)
- Experience supporting data systems and/or databases in an academic research and/or clinical
Anticipated Hiring Range: $60,000 - $80,000 commensurate with education and experience.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or related discipline.
Experience: At least one year of experience. Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or related discipline
Experience: At least three years of experience. Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
This is a restricted position contingent on the continued availability of funding.
This position will remain open until filled.
Physical Demands: This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require walking some distance to attend meetings, and programs
Learn more about the Center for Diabetes Technology here: https://med.virginia.edu/diabetes-technology/
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. This position will also require an Education Verification. (FSAKA)
FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: Upload the following materials at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs (Requisition number R0008781): Resume/CV and Cover Letter.
FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for Requisition number R0008781
Questions regarding the application process may be directed to Lauren Jackson, IT Recruiter at [email protected]The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.