Assistant Athletic Director Communications & Public Relations
Assistant Athletic Director Communications & Public Relations
Job no: 502027
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Serve as the Assistant Athletic Director of Communications and Public Relations under the direct supervision of the Associate Director of Athletics for External Operations. Assist with the supervision of the department’s promotional and public relations efforts for all 21 intercollegiate varsity sports within the Division I FBS program, while enhancing the overall image and brand of the University of Massachusetts and UMass Athletics.
- Day to day oversight in planning, coordinating and directing media and public relations activities including, but not limited to: establishing image and branding mechanisms; interaction with and building relationships with local, regional and national media members and outlets; keeping abreast of current trends and developments in the field through social media platforms, publications, seminars, conferences and peer group associations; a high emphasis on preparation and dispersal of media materials through both traditional and emerging methods; coordinating and activating gameday and special event operations around broadcasts, communications, media, and statistics; coordinating coach and student-athlete nominations for University, NCAA, conference, national and state awards; coordinating, preparing for and administering press conferences and interviews; maintaining and creating editorial content for UMass Athletics social media accounts, UMassAthletics.com, the official department website, and other department digital and printed publications; conceptualizing and organizing photography efforts; maintaining statistics and records. Serves as the primary media contact for all day-to-day public relations activities for Men’s Basketball and other sport programs as assigned.
- Oversight of the department budget for Communications and Public Relations.
- Coordination with the Director of Broadcasting to manage all broadcast Productions.
- Interact with campus officials, athletics administrators and staff, coaches, student-athletes, media members, department constituents, alumni and spectators.
- Serve as a liaison between the athletic department and media members and outlets, general public and University community while establishing personal contacts and providing information as requested.
- Serve as the primary media relations contact for Men’s Basketball and other sport programs as assigned. Daily responsibilities include, but are not limited to, roster and biography maintenance, scheduling interviews and media opportunities, maintaining and creating content for sport-specific social media platforms, supervising and staffing home events to assist with oversight of media work areas and media members, game operations and statistics keeping, dispersing relevant and accurate information to coaches, opponents and media members prior to and after each competition and organizing and archiving photography images.
- Maintain daily contact with coaches, student-athletes and athletic staff in an effort to generate potential human interest and feature stories that will enhance the University and UMass Athletics’ image and brand. Disseminating potential human interest and feature stories to media members in an effort to place positive public relations pieces in local, regional and national media outlets through various mediums including, but not limited to, newspapers, magazines, television, radio and internet publications.
- Create, prepare and disperse media materials including, but not limited to, rosters, personnel biographies, schedules, press releases, media advisories, media guides, preseason and postseason prospectus and written and/or visual digital content.
- Establish and maintain statistics, records, and team and individual information that could be used by the University, UMass Athletics, conference(s) and various outside organizations concerning historical and current information pertaining to a coach, student-athlete and/or program.
- Stay appraised of current and emerging trends in media consumption, and tailor UMass Athletics communications strategies to fit those trends.
- Working knowledge of and strict adherence to NCAA, conference(s) and University policies, rules and regulations.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required.
- Three to five years' experience in an NCAA Division I communications/sports information/media relations office, or comparable experience required.
- Knowledge and skills using PC and Apple computers.
- Knowledge and skills in desktop publishing, digital media and graphic design, social media platforms and StatCrew software.
- Skills in written and verbal communication and editing.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays.
Nontraditional work schedule with hours varying depending on the demands of the position; nights, weekends and holidays may be required.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and the names, titles and phone numbers of at least three professional references by the priority deadline of August 10th to ensure consideration. The position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jul 26 2019 Eastern Daylight Time