Instructional Designer - LMS
The McGraw Center for Teaching and Learning seeks a highly qualified Instructional Designer (ID) to provide instructional, pedagogical and technological support to faculty and staff as Princeton transitions to a new Learning Management System (LMS).
The Instructional Designer will report to the Associate Director for Online Education and work closely with the Educational and Classroom Technologies Group in the McGraw Center and the LMS Project Team members in the Office of Information Technology.
With a solid understanding of student-centered pedagogy, classroom instruction, Learning Management Systems, and instructional technologies, the ID is responsible for working with faculty and staff to ensure a successful transition to the new LMS. This includes developing a suite of instructional materials and in-person workshops and training sessions, as well as building out an online instructional resource, specific to the needs of Princeton's teaching and learning community. The ID will collaborate with faculty and instructional support staff to identify how the LMS can be leveraged to enhance teaching and learning on campus. As a member of the LMS Project Team, the ID will also reference peers who have recently been through this transition, and help define and set up Princeton specific configurations and templates for the LMS.
This position is a 2-year, benefits eligible term position.
- Serve as a key pedagogical resource for faculty and staff for LMS related questions & collaborate with faculty to make creative and effective uses of the LMS
- Work with colleagues in the McGraw Center for Teaching and Learning to explore new pedagogical opportunities and innovations, and how to integrate activities in the LMS with classroom instruction
- Work with a small group of early adopters to adapt their existing courses to the new LMS
- Work with cohorts of faculty to migrate course content from previous course sites, and collaborate with them on identifying the ways in which the LMS can advance their teaching goals, learning activities and assessment strategies
- Develop a suite of printed and online tutorials and instructional materials for faculty and staff
- Design and teach tailored workshops for faculty and staff, and hold 1-on-1 consultations and open hours
- Survey peer institutions who have recently acquired a new LMS to help craft a plan for Princeton’s transition
- Work with the LMS Project Team to configure Princeton’s course templates and integrations
- Master's or Professional degree and a minimum of 4 years of related experience
- Experience with forming collaborative relationships with faculty and staff at a higher education institution
- Thorough knowledge of learning management systems
- Knowledge of Drupal and WordPress
- An understanding of processes and standards for planning and implementing instructional design
- Experience with supporting instructional technology and developing instructional materials
- Knowledge of learning theory and instructional strategies
- Experience in technical communication, writing, and end user training
- Knowledge of instructional design concepts and principles
- Ability to organize and work effectively with an understanding of organizational policies and activities
- Proficient in communication, both oral and written
- Ability to handle multiple and simultaneous tasks, and prioritize, schedule and meet deadlines
- Ability to work effectively with a variety of groups
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Prior teaching experience in a higher education environment preferred
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Salary GradeAIT, 030Standard Weekly Hours36.25Eligible for OvertimeNoBenefits EligibleYesEssential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)NoEstimated Appointment End Date8/31/2021Physical Capacity Exam RequiredNoValid Driver’s License RequiredNo