Student Health Insurance Coordinator
The CU Health PlanAdministration office administers the insurance for employees of the Universityof Colorado, UCHealth and CU Medicine as well as for students of the AnschutzMedical Campus. Plan Administration provides plan designs, benefitconsultations, data analytics, actuarial analysis, finance management and complianceactivities for employers affiliated with and campuses of the University ofColorado.
The Student Health Insurance Coordinator position will assist in the management of the student health insurance programs on the Anschutz Medical Campus. This position will be expected to form and maintain positive relationships with vendors and counterparts at each campus location while providing excellent customer service to students. The Student Health Insurance Coordinator position will also serve in a project coordinator role for the department on an as-needed basis. This position will work 50% from the Anschutz Medical Campus and 50% from the CU Health Plan office in downtown Denver. This role reports to the Assistant Vice President of Health Plan Compliance and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Student Health Insurance Management:
- Serves as the on-campus representative for student health insurance.
- Performs customer service for students’ medical and dental insurance inquiries.
- Educates students about the mandatory insurance coverage, deadlines for compliance, application forms, and the waiver and appeals processes through counseling sessions.
- Manages students’ requests and inquiries related to medical and dental insurance plans and student health insurance policies and procedures through email.
- Develops and maintains appropriate relationships with counterparts at each campus to streamline processes and meet stakeholder needs.
- Researches and responds to campus inquiries such as clarifying benefit explanation, walking through appeals processes, performing benefits market analysis, etc.
- Creates and transmits eligibility files as necessary utilizing Microsoft Excel and insurance administrators websites.
- Administers waiver process for students electing other health insurance coverage.
- Insurance Consulting:
- Work with students to answer their insurance-related questions and provide follow-up to ensure compliance.
- Educate through counseling sessions students to ensure knowledge transfer of insurance practices and insights.
- Outreach Management:
- Seasonal outreach and education to other campuses on an as-needed basis.
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Knowledge of all aspects of health insurance offerings, including policy review, underwriting, compliance, utilization management processes, claims and billing, industry trends, and healthcare analytics.
- Knowledge of the Affordable Care Act and application to student health insurance.
- Skilled in and ability to educate students about the program.
- Ability to complete thorough and accurate research and appropriately apply to projects assigned.
- Ability to think critically and act strategically.
- Ability to operate successfully with limited direction from superiors.
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Skilled in and ability to utilize Microsoft Office suite.
What we offer:
Salary: Starts at $45,000 but is commensurate with skills and experience.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Day: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
Click here to access our Total Compensation Calculator to see what your total rewards could be at CU. This position is a University Staff position.
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor Degree from an accredited institution of higher education or equivalent professional experience. (The educational requirement may be substituted by professional experience on a year for year basis).
- One (1) year of experience working within the health insurance industry and/or with health benefits.
- Ability to travel from Anschutz campus in Aurora to downtown Denver.
- Experience with FERPA and HIPAA.
- Health Benefit Accreditation.
- Experience working with Higher Education.
- Excel and enrollment management database experience.
- Experience utilizing industry standard project management tools.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Denver
Posting Date: Jul 25, 2019
Unposting Date: Ongoing