Manager, Engineering External Relations and Communications
Manager, Engineering External Relations and Communications
Job no: 496403
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Communications / PR / Marketing, Advancement / Alumni Relations, Other
The Manager of Engineering External Relations and Communications will manage the Bucknell Engineering Alumni Association (BEAA) and serve as liaison between the College and the office of University Advancement in matters involving engineering alumni relations, fund raising, stakeholder relations, and volunteer activities. The position will also work in collaboration with the Dean of Engineering, Executive Assistant to the Dean, the Division of Communications, and University Advancement to enhance the College’s visibility and engage engineering alumni and external constituents in strategic priorities. This is a full-time, 12 month, benefits eligible position.
• Manage activities of the Bucknell Engineering Alumni Association (BEAA) through advising and assisting its Board of Directors in consultation with the dean of engineering. Responsible for planning all meetings of the BEAA Board of Directors with the president and members of the Executive Committee of the BEAA Board.
• Manage activities and meetings of the Dean’s Advisory Council in consultation and coordination with the dean of engineering.
• Manage the Engineering Student Board as it relates to the BEAA.
• Responsible for the development of all public relations materials and publications for the BEAA.
• Develop and maintain social media and other digital communications to the BEAA and various stakeholders, including donors, corporations and alumni.
• Develop and oversee the creation, execution and promotion of College and BEAA events in collaboration with the Dean of Engineering and University Advancement.
• Design materials in support of the College-level events to convey a professional image for the College.
• Working with the Dean and the Dean’s Executive Assistant, work in collaboration with the Division of Communications to coordinate the development of a comprehensive marketing plan that reinforce the College's goals and positively influence perceptions about the College with external constituents, including through the dissemination of writing, editing and/or production of materials for the College (i.e. social media, digital newsletter, videos, website, digital signage, press releases, fact sheets, ads, brochures, etc.).
• Stay abreast of trends and technologies in social media and communications.
• Establish and maintain close relationships with department faculty and staff to leverage collaboration and partnership opportunities for communication efforts and to ensure synergistic, comprehensive and consistent communication activities across all units.
• Work with the Dean and Executive Assistant to the Dean to develop internal communication strategies and implement efforts to build a sense of community, awareness, support and pride among internal audiences (faculty, staff, students).
• Actively contribute to Bucknell’s efforts to foster a diverse and inclusive campus community.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• At least five years experience of communications, marketing, writing and/or event development and management.
• Demonstrated success in volunteer management, such as event/meeting planning and management.
• Strong understanding of effective graphic or visual design.
• Proficient use of a variety of communications tools and platforms, including social media.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interpret and explain complex information, demonstrated by copywriting, editing and proofreading experience.
• Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities in a dynamic environment.
• Work collaboratively and productively with faculty, staff, students, alumni and the community.
• Demonstrated commitment to educational equity and commitment to promoting and enhancing equal opportunity, diversity and inclusion.
• Demonstrated success and willingness to participate in a team environment.
• Confidentiality of information is critical.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing or a related field.
• Experience working in higher education and/or complex, decentralized organizations on cross-functional teams.
• Master's degree in journalism, communications or marketing.
• Familiarity with graphic/visual design tools.
• Organization and management skills.
• Familiarity with STEM and health related fields.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: 25 Jul 2019 Eastern Daylight Time