Senior Network Engineer
Amherst College invites applications for the Senior Network Engineer position. The Senior Network Engineer is a full time, year-round position, job group and level PT-5. Amherst College has profoundly transformed its student body in terms of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and nationality, among other areas. Today, nearly one-quarter of Amherst's students are Pell Grant recipients; 45 percent of our studentsidentify as domestic students of color. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
Reporting to the Director of Infrastructure, the Senior Network Engineer works with the colleagues in Information Technology to design, implement and maintain the network to meet all defined network requirements and other security-related requirements. The Senior Network Engineer is responsible for developing and maintaining "best practices" procedures and policies, as well as creating and implementing network security design and systems integration. The Senior Network Engineer will utilize multiple technologies (Palo Alto, Juniper, and Aruba) to support the College's network infrastructure.
The Senior Network Engineer is responsible for maintenance of directory services, network operating systems, network security practices, and network problem troubleshooting. The Senior Network Engineer will implement distributed applications, ensure network authentication, and lead network security design and implementation. The incumbent will install and troubleshoot problems dealing with network communications hardware, ensure systems integration and optimization and provide supporting and monitoring services.
The Senior Network Engineer functions in a high performing team to strategically implement best industry practices and support builds best-in-class networks in an on-premise, cloud, and hybrid environments.
The Senior Network Engineer will be working in a diverse workforce and participate in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Summary of Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Infrastructure Management - Implements network security, including configuring firewalls, managing host security, backup and disaster recovery planning, makes recommendations on changes in hardware and network configuration, troubleshoots potential network architecture/design problems before they occur and communicates solutions, creates and maintains existing documentation, recommends, maintains, and implements policies and procedures for network administration, usage, and disaster recovery, documents work completed within the tracking system, creates project implementation documentation, installs, monitors, maintains, supports and optimizes network hardware, such as wired, wireless or other network equipment, supports software, systems and communication links such as structured cabling and single and multi-mode fiber, analyzes and resolves hardware and software problems, interacts with vendors and service providers to resolve network-related problems, work for compliance within the established guidelines, assists system users with new network applications/services and with the training and development of less experienced Network Engineers, serves as essential personnel and provides assistance in the event of an emergency on campus
- Design and Implementation - Implements network design changes, and builds the enterprise's computing networks including data centers and local area networks, analyze, evaluate, and recommend new network hardware, software, and communications products for compatibility and applicability
- Systems Monitoring and Security - Monitors and analyzes network performance and availability against expectations, implements performance tuning, and troubleshoots a variety of moderate to complex network problems, provides network performance statistics and reports
- Bachelor's Degree, or 10 years of relevant experience in lieu of a degree
- 8+ years' experience with core systems/network technologies in a network administrator or equivalent role
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) or equivalent
- Experience configuring ethernet switches, IP routers, and network security appliances in an enterprise environment
- Familiarity with and experience managing access control models and network security
- Knowledge of scripting languages (ex Python, Perl)
- Experience with network monitoring, diagnostic, and analysis
- Experience with network performance assessment and reporting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience with the production of technical documentation
- Great troubleshooting skills
- Commitment to or experience working with a diverse community
- Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE), or equivalent preferred
Interestedcandidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!