Amherst College invites applications for the Cloud Engineer position. The Cloud Engineer is a full time, year-round position, job group and level PT-5. Amherst College has profoundly transformed its student body in terms of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and nationality, among other areas. Today, nearly one-quarter of Amherst's students are Pell Grant recipients; 45 percent of our studentsidentify as domestic students of color. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
The Cloud Engineer will discover and interpret the college's technical and operational requirements and translate them into viable technical solutions within a cloud-first solutions strategy. The engineer recommends best practices for the migration of services traditionally hosted on-site to cloud services and a cloud infrastructure. In coordination with the Director of IT Infrastructure and members of the larger Information Technology team, implements planned migrations with a keen eye on best practices and resiliency.
Amherst College IT is quickly moving towards a cloud-first solutions strategy, and the engineer will play a key role in designing, migrating services currently hosted on-premise, and implementing a new, integrated architecture for the college's information systems.
The Cloud Engineer will be working in a diverse workforce and participate in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Summary of Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Infrastructure Management - Work closely with operations and development personnel to provision, support and troubleshoot cloud and hybrid infrastructure, provide day to day support of operational environments, maintain a highly available infrastructure with a keen eye on resiliency, provide application support, understand and contribute to the creation of system support documents and build scripts/Cloud Formation templates for cloud and hybrid environment configuration, operate within our security and privacy guidelines, and help guide our future security posture in relation to cloud architecture, collaborate with a diverse staff and contribute to an inclusive work culture
- Design and Implementation - Design technical architectures that fulfill business strategies based on industry and organizational standards, patterns and best practices, orchestrate implementation of proposed solutions on small and medium-sized projects, assess, design, develop, and analyze Public, Private, Hybrid Cloud architecture, determine Cloud, data and application architecture solutions that meet performance, scalability, reliability, and security needs, lead on architectural governance and decisions related to tools, technology and system tradeoffs as part of a cross-functional architecture decisions
- Systems Integration - Research and recommend cloud-based technologies to improve the current systems in support of the organization's strategic vision, lead in the design and development of integration among the college's information systems, lead in preparing and supporting architectural governance and decisions related to tools and technology and system choices, plan, schedule, and implement migrations from on-premises data center solutions to cloud architectures
- Bachelor's Degree or certifications directly related with cloud services, such as AWS Solutions Architect Professional Or Associate's Degree, and 5 years of relevant experience directly related with cloud architecture, migration from on-premise infrastructure, and implementation of cloud infrastructure
- Demonstrated experience with the migration of services on-premise to cloud infrastructure, with a focus on AWS
- Cloud computing architecture, technical design and implementation including "right fit" leverage of Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Software as a Service (SaaS) delivery models
- Strong understanding across Cloud and infrastructure components (server, storage, network, data, and applications) to deliver end to end Cloud Infrastructure architectures and designs
- Strong hands-on experience with scripting languages.
- 4 years of experience as an IT Infrastructure Engineer with a focus on cloud services such as AWS compute, storage, and networking environments.
- Commitment to or experience working with a diverse community
Interestedcandidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!