Media Services Specialist I
Requisition InformationPosition Information Posted with Limited AccessNoLimited Access Period Ending DateTitleMedia Services Specialist IPosting NumberS01311Full-Time/Part-TimeFull-timeTypical Hours Per Week38.75Regular, Temporary or TermRegularIf temporary or term, enter anticipated end dateBenefits Eligible?YesHourly/SalariedHourlyBand/LevelSP1BHiring Minimum$23.44DepartmentInfo. Technology Svcs.LocationMiddlebury, VT CampusHire contingent upon successful completion of the following post-offer screeningCriminal Background Check Position Summary Position Summary
The Media Services Specialist 1 provides support to the faculty, staff and students of Middlebury College with the use of audio and video equipment and software systems in classrooms and event venues across campus. The Media Specialist 1 assists the campus with event support, including recording events, editing and digitizing recordings of events.
The Media Services Specialist 1 position will work in a wide range of settings, including classroom maintenance and support, events support and will handle requests specific to their workgroup. The Specialist 1 will provide Helpdesk Emergency Call assistance evenings and weekends.
This position will serve as part of a collaborative work team that will provide a welcoming, courteous, and easy to navigate suite of library and technology services and resources. Particularly, User Services will provide services in the following areas: user education, general support and distribution of information and presentation tools, and event/classroom support. As part of that team, she/he will contribute her/his individual skills and expertise as needed in order to help the team achieve its objectives. Every member of User Services will communicate professionally, clearly, and in a manner appropriate to their internal and external customers.Responsibilities Essential Functions
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
- Promptly and reliably completes requests for technical support from customers, ensuring compliance with SLAs and resolving the majority on first contact. Customers can be students, faculty, staff or guests.
- Researches issues that are not resolved on first contact using internal and external documentation. Leverages all resources including consultation with others at the institution, manufacturers, and vendors, driving all but the most complex issues to completion. Fully documents unresolved issues and escalates them properly.
- Contributes to the design, planning and execution of classroom and collaboration projects.
- Completes replacements of college-owned equipment and software on schedule.
- Maintains digital content used by the Institution and maintains the systems where that content is stored, thereby meeting the needs of support staff and customers.
- Ensures the hardware and software inventory is accurate.
- Maintains fluency with standard hardware, software and network configurations in use at the College. Evaluates and tests new technologies ensuring suitability and compatibility, before a campus-wide release.
- Orients customers in the use of new and/or replaced devices, operating systems and applications.
- Maintains effective communication with other work areas, ensuring optimal productivity and service to partners, customers and the institution.
- Evening and weekend work required.
- Other duties are performed as assigned to assist the department in obtaining and maintaining its mission.
- With supervisor
- With User Services staff and other teams within ITS
- With peers in other departments throughout the Middlebury enterprise
- With faculty, students, staff and other key customers and partner stakeholders relevant to one’s area of responsibility
- With consortium partners
Support of information technology services that are reliable, secure and able to provide end-users with the critical information and applications needed to support teaching, learning, research, and the operations of the Middlebury enterprise.
- May provide general guidance and direction
or training to student workers and other junior staff in department procedures or basic technical aspects of assigned work.
- Supports the team in actively analyzing data for systems and services. Identifies areas of improvement and evaluates new solutions.
- Contributes to the creation and upkeep of external and internal documentation, ensuring it is accurate and comprehensive.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with broad liberal arts knowledge and strong customer service experience.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Broad knowledge of computer and media hardware, mobile device hardware, operating systems and applications, including multimedia applications.
- Working knowledge of the TCP/IP, Internet and electronic communications software required.
- Working knowledge of AMX, Extron or Crestron control systems preferred.
- Familiarity with supporting all technology aspects of live events.
- Must be able to uncrate and assemble a variety of equipment.
- Position involves unusual hours and occasional overtime due to classroom schedule and timing of events.
- Ability to work successfully in a team-oriented environment, responding to rapidly changing demands.
- Must handle pressure gracefully.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Minimum 2 years experience in a customer service role, preferably in a media services setting.Physical Demands
- Must be able to lift and carry heavy, in excess of 60 lbs, equipment up or down several flights of stairs occasionally.
- Must be able to push and pull up to 75 lbs frequently.
- Requires frequent bending, crouching and reaching.
- Must be able to climb ladders for the purpose of installing and maintaining video projectors and satellite equipment.
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.Recommendations
Some postings require contact information for reference providers for confidential letters of recommendation.Recommendation Letter RequirementsSupplemental Questions for Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Middlebury web site
- Email Job Alert
- Employee Referral
- Newspaper advertisement
- Cover Letter
- Resume/C V